Reptile Forums banner

Help!!!

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Lissy21 
#1 ·
hi, i have a 2ft tank with a plec, dwarf gourami, a ram, 2 platys, 3 tetras, a zebra danio and a guppy, i lost one of my rams about a week ago and now my female platy is jus lieing on the bottom on her side and has being for about 3days now, she lost alot of weight and i cannot get her to eat, the waters being changed since the 1 ram died and being treated and tested, all ok, its just my platy im really worried about and not sure what to do (or if its just one of them things), my ram i have left also doesnt seem to happy (not sure if its coz lost its mate), both ram and platy look like there gills are going ten to the dozen tho, not sure if that means anything to anyone, im just at a loose end, any advice would be really appreciated

#2 ·
What are you treating?
Live bearers dont live for very long, how long have you had her? and rapid breathing normally means lack of oxygen, can you create more surface agitation or add airstone?

#5 ·
If gills are going rapido I would suggest the air stone isn’t enough. You need to oxygenate the water more by causing more surface agitation (powerhead or similar). Agree you should test the waters nitrates, nitrites and ammonia levels ASAP. What temperature do you have the water at?

#7 ·
i do water change about every week and a half, change half water each time, i have a fluval U2 internal filter 400l/h 45-110l, clean it with each water change, ill do another ammonia, nitrate, nitrite check, the waters at 26c.

thank you all for replying too :)

#8 ·
I have just had the same issue hun - my water levels are okay, water change 25% twice weekly and my albino oscar this morning ws on his side at the bottom of the tank barely breathing.

Took him out into a med tank straight away and put more oxygen into water kept close eye on him only to find he had passed away this afternoon.

I am devastated he was a whoopper of a fish at near 12" long, 5" deep :(

#10 ·
I apologise hun - i shouldn't have put that in your thread making you worry! My other fish are all totally fine that is what has baffled me xx

#13 ·
if you are registering any nitrite or ammonia there is an issue with your tanks cycle. a cycled tank should be zero on both ammonia and nitrite and a reading of up to 40ppm at most on nitrate (kept lower by water changes)

how do you rinse your filter media? in old tank water or under the tap?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.