Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's marbled preying mantis has produced this:

Now am i right in thinking these are oothecae? If so....how ? I mean as she's kept on her own and has been since we got her from the Barking show

Any advice would be greatly received just now, as we've not bargained for this!!

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Did you buy her as an adult or as a nymph? If an adult then it could be fertile. If not then its probably just a dud. As far as i know they lay them even if not bred.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Miranda - An oothecae is an egg case.

Daikenkai - I bought her as a small preying mantis, she was tiny is that a nymph?

So i guess the egg will be infertile (panicking where i'm gonna accomodate 100+ preying mantis!! :-o

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
yeah, if she was small then you have nothing to worry about! just something the females like to do to scare ya! :lol2: Very nice looking ooth though, shame its empty she done a good job! hehe

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, if she was small then you have nothing to worry about! just something the females like to do to scare ya! :lol2: Very nice looking ooth though, shame its empty she done a good job! hehe

Phew!! I told my son he was feeding it too much as it had a massive belly...now we know why, and we know it's a she!!

Thanks for the advice ;)

·
*****istrator
11,351 Posts
Phew!! I told my son he was feeding it too much as it had a massive belly...now we know why, and we know it's a she!!

Thanks for the advice ;)
You never know your luck yet! :lol2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts