Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tort table which is 34" x 25"

Will i need a 100 W uv/heat bulb or a 160W

Also whats the difference between a normal one and a flood one?

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
For a small table like that the 100W Flood should be adequate. Not sure what you mean by "normal", they are usually either Spots (narrow beam) or Floods (wide beam).

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Get a flood, a spot, as the name suggests produces an intense concentrated beam of light and heat, they are really intended for tall vivs where they can project a long way, using one on a tort table would mean mounting it a couple of feet or more above the table.
A flood produces a less intense beam over a much wider area, mounting it near one end of the table will produce a warm basking spot and will project UVB light over a wide area of the table.

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
Get a flood, a spot, as the name suggests produces an intense concentrated beam of light and heat, they are really intended for tall vivs where they can project a long way, using one on a tort table would mean mounting it a couple of feet or more above the table.
A flood produces a less intense beam over a much wider area, mounting it near one end of the table will produce a warm basking spot and will project UVB light over a wide area of the table.
Depending on the size of enclosure though Graham these have been known to cause overheating of tortoises as they find it harder to get a cooling down area if the beam covers a wide area. I only ever recommend floods for large enclosures, say over 3 feet and then to be positioned right at one end. If you are talking outdoor enclosures it would not be a bad idea but indoors I would say too much ;) JMHO built on personal experience of course.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
His enclosure is just a couple of inches short of 3 feet though Sue, if he uses a 100W and mounts it at the correct height at one end there's no danger of overheating the whole table. Some planting and a couple of hides will ensure there's plenty of shade.

I use a 100W Flood for my turts, and a couple of feet away from where the bulb is mounted you can barely measure the heat difference when it's switched on. I actually use a flourescent strip in addition to the MVB to raise the light level at the other end, otherwise it's quite dark down there!

If you really think a 100W would be too much for a table that size, there's always the new MegaRay 60W.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi,

I use a 100watt flood with no problems at all, my encloser it 3 and a half foot by 2 foot, i get a perfect basking temp at one end and it is far cooler down the other end, the key to these bulbs is must you burn them in for a week before you allow it to be used for your torts and it gives you plenty of time to do regular temp checks and to postion it right, also make allowances for the centrel heating in the house as this bumps the temp right up!!

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
What is the UVB output as i have heard some are rubbish where as the trex gives out a good reading? how long does the UVB last in these bulbs as some go down hill after a while where as the trex bulbs really hold there UVB output for years.

·
Registered
268 Posts
What is the UVB output as i have heard some are rubbish where as the trex gives out a good reading? how long does the UVB last in these bulbs as some go down hill after a while where as the trex bulbs really hold there UVB output for years.

Hi Sarah,

I have just posted a link for you on SW, but i will post it here, i had never herd of these bulbs until now, so i have found this site that has tested the bulbs and gives the UV output;

Southwest Exotics, 100W UVB Floodlamps

I am going research further and look into using them!!

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
I've heard very good reports of the MegaRays from US keepers, they've been available over there for some years, and a few UK users I know rate them very highly too.
I believe they are made by the same manufacturer as T-Rex (is that right?) so it's hardly surprising!

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
HI All,

I have read an inderpendent report on the Mega-Ray 60 watt
and have decided not to use as i feel would be to unsafe to use in the type of enclosures that most of us use for our torts!!!:shock:

Here is a bit of the report that made me say no;

Mega-Ray 60-watt lamp has been designed for use in very large reptile enclosures.
The manufacturer STATES that the lamp will only be sold to zoos, Herpetologists or individuel hobbyists who own
a UVB meter and sale of each lamp needs to be phone call confirmed.
The instructions state that the minimum distance at which the lamp should be used is 36 inches.

I would give you link to the report as soon as it is working but at the moment the link does not work and it won't allow me to right click to copy and paste the document!!!

·
Banned
6,045 Posts
HI All,

I have read an inderpendent report on the Mega-Ray 60 watt
and have decided not to use as i feel would be to unsafe to use in the type of enclosures that most of us use for our torts!!!:shock:

Here is a bit of the report that made me say no;

Mega-Ray 60-watt lamp has been designed for use in very large reptile enclosures.
The manufacturer STATES that the lamp will only be sold to zoos, Herpetologists or individuel hobbyists who own
a UVB meter and sale of each lamp needs to be phone call confirmed.
The instructions state that the minimum distance at which the lamp should be used is 36 inches.

I would give you link to the report as soon as it is working but at the moment the link does not work and it won't allow me to right click to copy and paste the document!!!
Those are for Zoo specific strength bulbs Mollbags, they also come in the 'hobby' version for...well, hobbiests I suppose.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
I also get the impression that when they refer to enclosures they mean literally that, enclosed spaces such as vivaria, an open-topped tort table is a very different matter as the "enclosure" is effectively the size of the room that the table is in!

I'm sure you'd find that the UVB and heat output of a hobby rated MegaRay is pretty much identical to that of an equivalent size T-Rex, or Powersun, or any other brand of Mercury Vapour lamp you cared to compare it to.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts