Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of my neon tetras is swimming upside down.

he is fed on good quality flakes which i sink into the tank and theres a heater in there with the temperture of about 22*C.

...Help?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Swimbladder deformation is common in fish, due to inbreeding and lack iof new bloodlines being introduced. They dont normally go downhill that quickly if its just a swimbladder deformity :S. Just out of interest, has he gone pale (have the neon or red parts of his body paled significantly)? If so it could be neon tetra disease;

Fish Disease - Neon Tetra Disease

If ive found the best method is to increase the temp by 1 or 2 degrees, improve the hygiene of the tank, and increase water changes (perform 20 - 25% a week).

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Swimbladder deformation is common in fish, due to inbreeding and lack iof new bloodlines being introduced. They dont normally go downhill that quickly if its just a swimbladder deformity :S. Just out of interest, has he gone pale (have the neon or red parts of his body paled significantly)? If so it could be neon tetra disease;

Fish Disease - Neon Tetra Disease

If ive found the best method is to increase the temp by 1 or 2 degrees, improve the hygiene of the tank, and increase water changes (perform 20 - 25% a week).
I think this is what got him, he showed alot of the symptoms.

He's dead now :(

Ill increase the temp of the tank and do 10% water changes every secong day.

Hopefully this will safe the others?

·
Registered
950 Posts
hey drummer

weve had loads of tetra's

if hes not been in long then the water temps and conditions may not be right yet.
with smaller fish you tend to get a few die.
i think we had nearly half of a school of ours die.

all you can do is keep trying and hope that the conditions get better.
weve got a few diff types in ours so we have to add filters and air pumps.

try looking up tetra care sheets

good luck

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
they're all dying! :(

I think its neon tetra disease, but i dont know what to do!

the three that are left are going to die I suspect.

I'll try harder next time

·
Banned
23,827 Posts
^^^Eh?

Okay - so how long was your tank maturing before you placed the fish in?

Its possible your fish came in with an issue, in that case its nothing to do with anything you have done, so dont beat yourself up about it!

I dont really know what i can suggest, i tend to be a bit OTT with leaving a tank running empty before placing fish in there. Im on about 3 weeks or so. Thats more than enough, but what i am comfortable with.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Sometimes tetras just die. Try black widows or penguins or cardinals or something hardier than neons

Liam

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Cardinals are so much prettier. especially in the right lighting.

Liam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
As HABU said check water Hardness(GH) and pH, Tetras are soft water fish.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
for starters neons and cardinals are not a good choice of fish to go into a system which is less than 4 to 6 weeks old. they can occationally suffer from stress when being moved from a dealer's tank to your home aquarium. they require good water quality. they CAN be kept at a higher pH of around 7.5 to 7.9. they cannot cope with high levels of ammonia (exeeding levels 0f 0.02 ppm) and nitrite (exeeding 0.2 ppm) which occur in the early stages of a new aquarium.

Neon tetra desease is caused primarily from stress which occurs, as said before, from transportation and water quality parameters. it is a hard desease to treat. but luckly only effects NEONS :whistling2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts