Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello lately my leopard gecko has went off his food, i dont know why, Everything has stayed the same over the months and just this week and a half he has stopped eating after he shed he shed again farely quick and is doing that fine but he will not even look at the crickets twice :(
i cant find any solutions do any of you have any ideas? im severly worried :(
thanks Chris!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hey...

Our Leo's went off their food a few weeks back and have hardly eaten anything recently.

We were just putting it down to the cold weather?

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
if your gecko has stopped eating but he/she hasnt lost any weight its nothing to worry about. geckos can go months without food.

my male gecko went off hes food, he use to eat crickets but i didnt like them because they use to escape so i put a bowl of mealworms in and he wouldnt touch them but after about 2-3 months he had no choice and now he loves them but i do give him the occasional locust lol.

also do not hand feed a gecko too much because they tend to get lazy, well mine did lol...i use to hand feed mine all the time but then i noticed he wouldnt catch hes food so i just left some food in there for about 2-3 months then he again had no choice but to catch them himself lol.

just to remind you, if ur gecko has stopped eating but hasnt lost anyweight or only a few grams its nothing to worry about.

kind regards,

brad : victory:

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
as long as he does not lose weight he should be fine for a week or two
both mine have suddenly stopped eating
its probaly with this cold weather we are having they could be feeling it to
check his temps in case they are to low(due to weather)
one of my bearded dragons has also stopped eating the other is just a pig

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys,
yeah its been about a week and he is still as thick as ever! :D
gonna give him a weigh down and do it weekly,his temps are fine and have always been the same!
i feel a bit better now that i have heard from people who had the same problem!
thanks Chris! :)

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
thanks guys,
yeah its been about a week and he is still as thick as ever! :D
gonna give him a weigh down and do it weekly,his temps are fine and have always been the same!
i feel a bit better now that i have heard from people who had the same problem!
thanks Chris! :)
I keep weekly/fortnightly weight records for all of ours, this helps massively in situations like this. It has been bitterly cold so the ambient may be down a little bit which may contribute to it.

Is your Leo adult? If so, they don't need massive amounts of food to sustain themselves ;)

If you are still worried, having a feacal sample tested can never do any harm. However, getting the sample is another matter entirely.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he is about 10 months to a year old and quite big like :p so yes i suppose so wieghing him now :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok he is 88 grams, so age wise? he is nice and big :) very active and healthy so i am asuming he will be ok? :)

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,604 Posts
Sounds good and I agree with the others. At that age and weight I would be cutting down to feeding perhaps only 5 days a week anyway. If he does lose more than a few grams then it would be worth getting a faecal check done and perhaps looking for other causes of not eating. But as you say he seems otherwise well then no need to worry yet imo. I would also say that they can get bored of the same foodstuff all the time and I like to give mine a bit of variety - locust, roaches, morio worms, mealies.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok guys thanks alot! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts