Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanted to know what is the best thing to replace hemp with for an indoor set up,i have read in the tortoise trust newsletter that hemp should not be used so want more ideas of what to replace it with?she has half soil half hemp with flat stones up the middle.cheers!!

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
Is she happy with the set up as it is? Are you happy with it? If so my personal recommendation would be to leave it.

I changed mine from hemp to sand/soil... what an unhappy tort I had. Stopped eating properly, stopped basking, sand/soil constantly stuck around eyes as no matter how much I sprayed/watered it was too dry, stayed under her hide all day. I changed back to hemp and straight away she was back to normal.

I've spoken to a few other people who changed as well and they've gone back to hemp as they found the same with their torts. Maybe some species do better on sand/soil than others... friends who have horsfields use it with no problems but hermanns don't seem to like it.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is she happy with the set up as it is? Are you happy with it? If so my personal recommendation would be to leave it.

I changed mine from hemp to sand/soil... what an unhappy tort I had. Stopped eating properly, stopped basking, sand/soil constantly stuck around eyes as no matter how much I sprayed/watered it was too dry, stayed under her hide all day. I changed back to hemp and straight away she was back to normal.

I've spoken to a few other people who changed as well and they've gone back to hemp as they found the same with their torts. Maybe some species do better on sand/soil than others... friends who have horsfields use it with no problems but hermanns don't seem to like it.
she seems happy enough but obviously i want to do whats right for her and as the tortoise trust newsletter said to replace it i thought i should??hhmmm confused now lol

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
Do you what you feel it right. I dont use hemp for adults but use it for babies no problems. I would advise feeding on a slate so that no hemp is eaten.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you what you feel it right. I dont use hemp for adults but use it for babies no problems. I would advise feeding on a slate so that no hemp is eaten.
ok thanks,she is fed from a flat dish on the stones so no probs there.: victory:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts