Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After keeping and breeding snakes for 35 years this never fails to impress and excite me :)

Noticed a slight change in my Pastel Lesser's body shape last night and today my suspicions are confirmed

She's shown a lot of the normal signs over the past four / five weeks, inverted laying, off food, and a fat body towards the vent, but you can never take that as gospel... Very strong tail suck and no mistaking the bulge so no going back now ..... :)

So best guess would be eggs around end July / beginning August :)

This will probably be the last time I breed her with the Lesser, so it would be cool to hit the odds again and get another BEL like the one they produced in 2019. Talking of which, the 21/22 season will hopefully see her first breeding season, and hopefully the male pastave enchi will be firing on all cylinders and give me some more BELs :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Nice... Superlessers (non pastel) was my 'bread and butter' breeding project back in the day. Man how times have changed. I remember paying £5k for a female lol ...

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the real crazy years of royal pythons that was often a cheap snake! It wasn't unheard of to see new morphs advertised at £20k.
Hard to imagine someone paying £10k or more for a male Pastel, but that was often the case when they first arrived...back in 1997 !

·
Registered
10,244 Posts
Hard to imagine someone paying £10k or more for a male Pastel, but that was often the case when they first arrived...back in 1997 !
And then there werebthe first spider royals too. They were stupid money when they first appeared. Pieds were up there too, as were albinos.
Even now there are still high priced royals. CPR have one for £695 currently.

·
Registered
567 Posts
In the real crazy years of royal pythons that was often a cheap snake! It wasn't unheard of to see new morphs advertised at £20k.
That was crazy times. I remember seeing a Black Pastel Pied (Panda Pied) in the US and that went for £50k here in the UK. When I finally was there after years of breeding I never hit the odds. Despite breeding Black Pastel 100% het Pieds I never hit the 1/16 and after three seasons gave up. Now they have also come down in price. I think the last time I saw one on sale was for $15k like 6 or 7 years ago. And I think nowadays people use Cinnamons as well for Panda Pieds.

Anyway, I won't ever breed again. My easiest project was certainly the Super Lesser.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are still snakes going for crazy money nowadays... I was watching a NERD video and it was quoted that one snake was up for grabs around the $65K mark... granted it was a one off 7 gene animal, but that's still a hell of a lot of cash for a snake, especially give the quick depreciation that they have. @Jibbajabba I first saw a BEL years ago and fell in love with it. I couldn't afford the price tag, I think it was still several thousand, somewhere around £3 - 5K if memory servers me correctly (don't quote me its fading fast these days !) - so I set out to "make my own", and produced my first in 2019.... she's so perfect ! - I'm hoping to pair her to a Pastave Enchi next season (she'll be two and a half years old by then, and hopefully up to a decent breeding weight. So more BELs (or possibility) in the future.

But whilst we're talking of money, I'm not in it for profit....and whilst these days most BELs are around the £300 - £400 mark, the main reason I breed my snakes it to help cover their running costs and to support the local shops by selling to them and its comforting to know that new owners have one of my snakes :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
I couldn't possibly spend that much on s Reptile.

I just worry as to if the new owner will be a good owner 🤔 I am so not sure how I'm going to be with letting anything go 😬

1 - 13 of 13 Posts