Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sunny ficus is in really bad shape right now.

Been doing fine for months but there could be 3 causes of its demise.

1) I put an old 10% UV bulb ontop of the faunarium its in 2 weeks ago.

2) I ran out of mineral water so sprayed it for 2 days with Aquatize treated tap water (about a week ago).

3) We had a fire in the garage at the weekend and there was smoke in the house, albeit not alot as I quickly blocked off my room with a quilt.

Here's it is...

I noticed it was sprouting a new shoot a few days after I put the UV on it.. which has continued to grow... but the past 2 days the plant has gone downhill massively. (New shoot is 2nd up from the bottom on the left.. the thin weedy one)

Might it just need some food ?? or is it a lost cause ??

What caused its demise do you think ??

·
Super Moderator
7,032 Posts
It doesn`t look good.they are pretty indestructable.I dont think that its the first two as I have used those tubes and tapwater for mine.I dont know about the fire unless it got really hot.

My guess would be either over or under watering.Certainly I wouldn`t give up now .With a bit of t.l.c. it should start shooting again from the base.

·
Registered
71,221 Posts

hmm... this is what i call a ficus tree...

you lost me...

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
My sunny ficus is in really bad shape right now.

Been doing fine for months but there could be 3 causes of its demise.

1) I put an old 10% UV bulb ontop of the faunarium its in 2 weeks ago.

2) I ran out of mineral water so sprayed it for 2 days with Aquatize treated tap water (about a week ago).

3) We had a fire in the garage at the weekend and there was smoke in the house, albeit not alot as I quickly blocked off my room with a quilt.

Here's it is...

I noticed it was sprouting a new shoot a few days after I put the UV on it.. which has continued to grow... but the past 2 days the plant has gone downhill massively. (New shoot is 2nd up from the bottom on the left.. the thin weedy one)

Might it just need some food ?? or is it a lost cause ??

What caused its demise do you think ??
It looks like it may have been burned from the UV, 10% is very high for the plants.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

hmm... this is what i call a ficus tree...

you lost me...
And here's another ficus we 're trying to save...

:lol2:

I did wonder about the UV being too high but it was an old bulb and the plants in my tanks do fine under 10%. (Parlor palm, birds nest fern and boston fern, plus the native ferns)

No heat will have gotten into the house from the fire as it wasn't a big one, but it was rather hot last week and its above one of the tanks so has a little extra compared to room temp from the lighting.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
I'd put good money on it been the change in water, plants often lose leaves in order to adapt to changes. The change to the lighting could well have contributed to this also.

Ade

1 - 7 of 7 Posts