Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, my 3 year old hermann has been passing a white substance of a chalky/milky consistancy. He/she will normaly do this whilst being bathed, but occasinaly will pass this "white stuff" when not being bathed. He still deficates normaly, so it's not his poo.

My first reaction was that it might be seamen, but when it started doing it more oftern I quickly realised it couldn't be.

His diet consists of dandy lions mainly, but occasionly he will get some other weeds, the one's that look very similar to dandy lions... can't remeber the names. His food is lightly covered with calcium powder. Bathed once a week, has a water bowle and is kept in a table with heat lamp and 8.0 UV light.

Is is this "white stuff", is it bad, and what can be done about it?

Thanks,

·
Registered
520 Posts
The white stuff is called urates and its perfectly normal! it should be a creamy consistancy,if its more gritty or solid then this is a sign of dehydration. id say your tortoise is fine but give baths more often to keep hydration up!
hth

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
hi B.B, you have been given a great advice from kerry. its important you up your baths though to at least 3 times a week, and offer fresh water daily in a nice size bowl, as you will be suprised on how much water torts drink when they rarely get seen doing this, sounds you are doing good. :) and :welcome: :2thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts