Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. :D Im new to the forums, I have been getting ready to get a Tortoise lately and have recently been comparing and trying to figure out which breed of Tortoise I want. I finally decided on a Hermanns, I assume that I was looking at a diffrent breed but I saw that you could feed fruits and veggies, however the Hermanns is a little diffrent, can I feed the Hermanns grocery veggies? And if not where would I get the foods I need?

Thanks!! ^^

-Cilla

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
Hi Cilla
All the food you need for a hermanns tortoise is right out there in your garden or in the fields and hedgerows, depending on where you live.
Often it's the people selling the animals rather than the species that denotes what diet is advised. Fruit is only recommended for a few species, redfoots and other tropicals for example. Grocery bought veg is never a good idea as the cabbage family, including brussels sprouts, cauliflower, spinach, endive, kale etc is really bad as they contain a substance called oxalates which prevents calcium being taken up by the bones, which is very important in tortoises. Fruit, including tomatoes will upset the gut flora, alllowing parasites to flourish and produce loose stools. You really need to feed your tortoise on weeds such as dandelions, sowthistle, clover, plantain and other weeds. Go to www.tortoises.net for excellent advice on feeding and housing of Mediterranean species.
Make sure also before you get him thta you get the proper accomodation set-up for him, no vivariums or tanks, these are lethal and very stressful too.
Well done on doing your research before getting one ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be great...xD LoL Only problem is I dont have a backyard. I used to take care of a Desert Tortoise at a Nature center and we fed him frozen vegetables.

I may have to consider getting another type of tortoise, because I cant exactly go out ripping up weeds and stuff around here. :shock:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Dragons most tortoises should have a weed based diet I am afraid their digestive systems and needs are more complex than some animals kept as pets. You can feed them a tiny amount of dark cabbage occasionally but any store bought food much be just that, occasional. The tortoise trust website has a good fact sheet on care and food and I also have one from my breeder if you would like it to give you an idea it is for Hermanns :) just email me if you want it :D

you can make a weed tray yourself or buy one from ebay, the shops TORTOISE-HEALTH does a good one as does SHELLED WARRIORS on there. We've just had our weed supply reduced thanks to an over keen gardener but if you ramble about there are loads everywhere just grab a small handful you don't need a lot for a baby tort

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi, im really sorry but i dont think you should get a tortoise if you cannot provide outdoor space for it,there are people that do but torts love to roam around and i dont think its fair for it to be kept indoors. Glad your asking before you buy though :)

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
I would avoid cabbage as it is high in oxalates which inhibit the uptake of calcium by the tortoise. If you absolutely must give shop bought food then watercress, rocket and romaine are preferable but as Kerry mentions, if you cannot provide properly for your tortoise it's probably best not to get one as it's health will suffer long term otherwise :cry:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the replies everyone. ^^ I am going to wait till next month before making any decisions, and possibly finding a way for the tortoise to be able to get some natural sunlight.

IF I do get a Tortoise, I may get a Spider or a Star Tortoise now. Decisions...decisions... :confused:

·
Registered
85 Posts
shootinglou79 said:
i think you should leave the spider and star tort for the experienced keeper, besides where on earth have you seen a spider tortoise for sale in the uk :shock: as i'd love to know :)
there are three places in the UK, two are reptile shops and one is a breeder down south but they aren't cheap so I could follow lou's advice and stick for the more sturdy tortoise!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yea, forgot to mention...Im not in the UK, Im in the United States, this looked like a nice forum and I decided to join anyways.

I have been around Tortoises before and have had hard to care for pets before, Im sure I can handle the responsibility of a star tortoise...but we shall see. I will continue to do some research and make sure I thoroughly know what Im getting into. ;)

P.S. I read that the star tortoise is more difficult, but for some reason, cant seem to find out exactly why. Can someone tell me? :D Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.