Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hermans Tortoise for sale
We have 10 Hermans in stock they were all captive bred in 2005 but as you can see from the photo's they range in size. All the legal cites paperwork comes with each tortoise. They are £140.00 each or 2 (two) for £220.00. Next day before noon delivery on these is £17.50.
If you are interested in these either email becky or jaimie on [email protected] . Or telephone the shop on 01314682585 and ask for becky, brian or jaimie.
These tortoise are valuable and are in short supply, before purchasing one you should make sure that you can home them and give them the care and respect they deserve. If you want to know what you need to keep these animals brian or becky can give you sound advice.

[/URL]

[/img]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
carl19 said:
these tortsa look a few years old, anyway are they uk captive bred or just captive bred??
Photographs can be deceptive, most of ours have a plastron measurement of 5 to 6cm there are some larger ones but not significantly.
Cites certs are sparse when it comes to information, but these state hatched 2005 and bred in Solvenia.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
aceaqua,
Cites certs are sparse when it comes to information, but these state hatched 2005 and bred in Solvenia.
Well well, that is a surprise :shock: ...Slovenian torts :roll: , I never would have guessed!!! :lol: ...

Actually, article 10 certificates are not sparse when it comes to information...Well mine are not...but then again, mine are born in the UK, My name is on the breeder info. along with the month and year my torts were born, and the hatchlings parent adult registered chip numbers!!!...T.T. 8)

·
Registered
121 Posts
i thought they would be slovanian, and as some are so large they probably arent all captive bred 05 but who knows

·
Registered
43 Posts
Terrific tortoise said:
aceaqua,
Well well, that is a surprise :shock: ...Slovenian torts :roll: , I never would have guessed!!! :lol: ...

Actually, article 10 certificates are not sparse when it comes to information...Well mine are not...but then again, mine are born in the UK, My name is on the breeder info. along with the month and year my torts were born, and the hatchlings parent adult registered chip numbers!!!...T.T. 8)
We have a Hermanns tort that came with cites that had Slovenia as country of origin.It seems a very healthy and active tortoise and Reptile Connection where we got it from assured us it came from good quality stock as his agent picks all torts that he supplies. Is this to be believed or just B.S. .His site is www.reptileconnection.co.uk

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
damian, I am always weary of new members with low post counts asking questions about torts :? !!!...If you go to the shelled section of this forum, page 3...Reptile Shops, Torts and Imports ...read that thread, then you can come to your own conclusions mate :wink: ...T.T. 8)

·
Registered
121 Posts
no one can say for sure about yours, but usually on these breeding farms in slovania wild tortoises are gathered into the farm to accomodate for the high demand, so u need to be careful of worms and parasites etc.... and there age can be wrong

·
Registered
43 Posts
Terrific tortoise said:
damian, I am always weary of new members with low post counts asking questions about torts :? !!!...If you go to the shelled section of this forum, page 3...Reptile Shops, Torts and Imports ...read that thread, then you can come to your own conclusions mate :wink: ...T.T. 8)
why are you weary of new members? It doesn`t make sense,I have been watching this forum for a while- my brother in law -has been looking for a sub adult female beardy so I have been looking for him,he has no net connection .I read some of the thread you quoted.I cannot believe every slovenian tort is c/f or taken from the wild,it is against the sellers interest to ill animals.I see the debate is a very hot one.I did alot of research into tort care before buying one,surely defra wouldnt grant cites to some of the shadier farms though.....

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
damian, this is how it works...new members/low post counters pop up every now and again in the Shelled section and ask stupid/shit stirring type questions, knowing full well that tort keepers can get a bit passionate about their torts. This thread then kicks off and the mud starts flying around. Now these "newbies" just fade away for awhile, then come back under another name and start off yet another thread for a laugh, and chancers are they are more than likely exsisting members. Because of this, like I said, I am weary of new members/low post counters...T.T. 8)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wizzasmum said:
Aha - bred in Slovenia - thought they looked nice and smooth. Now why do Slovenian fred torts have such nice shells I ask myself. Hmmmmm - oh I remember, it's because they are wild caught :x
Look, we are a reputable company that has many years experience with exotics. We are used by the scottish sspca as an example to new officers of how a shop should be run and how animals should be cared for. We are also used by Edinburgh university as providers of work placements for trainee vets.
I can not belive the arrogance of some people, you are bringing into question
the whole of DEFRA, you are actually insinuating that DEFRA grant certificates to any joe bloggs that applies for one. DEFRA are the front line against illegal imports and perform a worthwhile job. You must remember that it is not in the interest of a reputable seller to sell illegal or unhealthy stock.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Terrific tortoise said:
damian, this is how it works...new members/low post counters pop up every now and again in the Shelled section and ask stupid/shit stirring type questions, knowing full well that tort keepers can get a bit passionate about their torts. This thread then kicks off and the mud starts flying around. Now these "newbies" just fade away for awhile, then come back under another name and start off yet another thread for a laugh, and chancers are they are more than likely exsisting members. Because of this, like I said, I am weary of new members/low post counters...T.T. 8)
Being a new member with a low count post doesn`t make me an enemy,I asked a simple question! I think I will avoid the shelled forum here if new members are treated this way. You shouldnt tar everyone with the same brush TT,I am new to the world of torts and didnt realise the general view of slovenian torts,it will give me something to think about in the future though.

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
I wouldn't exactly say DEFRA allow any old Joe Bloggs to have a cert, that would be slander, but I would go so far as to say that there are seriously worrying loopholes and many ex-employees of DEFRA would no doubt agree! Don't know if you watched the programme on TV last night about russian tortoises coming into Heathrow! Believe it or not this was legal, but even the person dealing with and counting the 1500 torts had his doubts. Now my guess is that if faecals were done on those torts they woudl come up with a good fair few parasitic infections and I have little doubt that these Slovenian ones would too.
Tell me you saw this programme and were happy about it and I will tell you, I have my answer :cry:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts