Reptile Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its the time of year when torts slow down but I wanted to keep mine awake until mid november/december at least but he seems to be doing it all by himself.

He's stopped eating, i offer him daily food but he just walks over it and then its left to dry up, so i remove it and try again

He is sleeping most of the time, only waking for 10 mins to 1 hour per day for a wee walk and then back to sleep.

He is in his indoor enclosure as it is very cold and wet here at the moment.

Do I 'make' him stay awake for another few weeks? Or do i let him go into hibernation? If so how long for? Or do I just let him go for as long as he wants? Do I bathe before hibernation to ensure hydration?

Sorry for all the questions, he worries me more than the dog, the cat and kids put together!!

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
Are you bathing him before you feed him? One of mine decided a couple of weeks ago to slow right down but with a little persistence in waking her in the morning to bask and bathing before feeding she's now as awake as the others... I don't want to hibernate mine until the end of December.

I don't know whether you'll have more trouble keeping a horsfield awake though, mine are hermanns.

This is a good guide for hibernation:

Hibernation

Which will explain exactly how you need to wind him down. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts