Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the thing is he's hand reered and tame and everything but the little guy (just over a couple of months) flys away everytime i get him out. he's had a wing clipped and so struggles to glide but still can move away from me! i only got him recently... hes only a wee guy. any tips on how i can prevent him glding or fluterting away??

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
is he going up or down? if hes flying upwards hemay need his wings reclipping. im not too clued up on parrots but i know someone who has a tame hand reared one but is only tame with that person.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
well when i got my tame cockatiel i just let it make up its own mind. he had a few days of walking round the room and i sat with bird seed near me or in my hands. he soon learnt to not walk off when he was out the cage. Now he wont go away when i want him too and walks on my back where i cant reach him :lol:

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
well my dads tame parrot just likes to explore wen he is out :D

·
Registered
968 Posts
Each day when my mum got her hand reed cockateil, she put her
hand in its cage to let the bird know it wasnt there to harm, plus as you are some what new to it it wil fear from its previous owner, now it
hops on my mums hand and sits while she reads her
flipping mags.. and it even eats custard from a bowl :rotfl:

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Well as it is new, it is probably scared, bless it, if you have only had it a cople of days, you should leave it to settle in 1st, as the parrot has got to get used to the new sorroundings 1st then start handling, same as reptiles really. Then start off handling for short periods, then progress, if it takes well to handling 1st time thats great, but if not be patient :)
Even though it is hand reared don't mean it will automaticaly love you :lol:
As he is new he doesn't quite trust you yet, so start off by giving him food by hand and quietly chatting to him/her etc then he will gain your trust. Then should start to become tame and stop fleeing from you, then you should start to bond with your parrot fiarly qucikly :D
Parrots are very intellegent so need to be kept amused with toys etc as the get bored easily :wink:
Could i ask what parrot it is ?
Need any more help holla :thumb:

·
Registered
632 Posts
don't forget parrots r monogamous hes prob trying to get used to u, i'd advise getting both of his wings clipped and try a game to win his trust... get a toilet roll middle put a few pumpkin/sunflower seeds in and tape up the ends, sit on the floor/sofa wioth him and play together he'l love you forever.. it'l take time though!! :D

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
A vet once told me that two wings clipped makes a feather-plucker. They are safer with just one clipped.

·
Registered
632 Posts
they only pluck because they aren't done cosmetically...if there are any strands out of place thy preen.. we do both and have'nt ever had a problem :? it takes ages and we usually give the parrots a whiff of iso to knock them out but no problems so far?

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I am against Birds wings being clipped :!:
There ther to be used, it's like us having are legs fully taped up and being unable to walk :( I have had a few parrots none of them cliped and a red billed toucan which wasb't clipped either, all of them tame as ever, the toucan was tame when she came to me, but she became closer a she got to know me and we bonded ver very well, an my african grey, it was the nastiest parrot ever, squack every time you go in the room, literaly rip your hand off if you went near it, i tamed it down in about a month maxium, and even tought it a few tricks in that time 8)
An the same with the hahns macaw was very frightened but tamed down with handling. You have just got to take things easy. Need any advice PM me 8)

·
Registered
632 Posts
i dont really agree with keeping birds...well thats not strictly true...aiverys and large cages with opportunity for excersise. wing clipping is a bit contraversial i suppose as everyone has their own oppinions i've got a friend with an african grey (lil bas*ard) and he goes out in the summer has the whole garden at his disposal, in that case wing clipping is a good idea, yet if they don't go out and theres not a possibility of escape why have it done?? some owners do it for the first few months just to make life easier and the birds a little better to handle, its preferance at the end of the day :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I'm against larger birds kept in cages, I don't have any birds of any sort used to have budgie which I didn't want in a cage.

Clipping the wings is cruel and unnesscary

·
Registered
18 Posts
I hav a few birds including a parrot, i got her wings clipped, she can still fly, so it not worth getin it done. i hav a cockatiel, who is hand tame, but it took a couple of months before it finally lands on my arm and sits with me, the best thing 2 do is perservere, it will stay with you eventually.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i dont agree with wing clipping myself,birds are ment to fly.
my cockateil elmo is a right cheeky bugger,as soon as i walk in the room he wolf whistles at me lol.

ive taught him to say hello and i love you but he just dont wanna learn anymore,if i talk in a high pitched squeek he does the same.

he sits on my sholder and if i sing to him he nods up and down and then starts to sing with me.he loves bopping to music.

ive had him less than a year and he hates men lol,i even got his head in my mouth once and he just listened to the echos of his voice lol,he used to try cleaning my sons teeth lol,but i stopped that due to it being harmful to him.

persistance is rewarding,spend as much time with him as you can then he wont want to fly off :0)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I've got a small parrot (maximillian pionus) called Dizzybird. I've had her since she was 10 weeks old - she's now just over 2 years.

I refuse to have her wings clipped, I think it's cruel. She loves flying around the living room each day. How else can she get some exercise. I asked my breeder for advise when I first got her and she said that clipping a birds wings could drastically change a birds personality as they can become distressed when suddenly unble to fly. Which face it is the most natural thing in the world to birds.

During the summer she wears a "feather teather" which I got off ebay & rides to school either on the buggy or on the bikes with me and the kids.

She loves me unconditionally, and out and about will let people pet her - however she hates my hub with a passion. I can't have her out if he is in the room as she fluffs herself up and tries to kill him. He hates her equally - I dread the day when she pipes up with "I f***ing hate you, you viscious green b***ard!!!" :oops:

Good luck with your bird - just give it time. Dizzybird wouldn't come to me straight off - now if she's out of her cage she just wants to sit on my shoulder all the time and chew my bra strap!!!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
i have the same problems with mine,elmo hates my son and my sons dad,he swoops at them if hes in a bad mood lol.last week elmo decided to be nice for ten seconds and sit on my sons sholder but then decided to peck his ear.

my sons dad gets pecked at everytime he goes near elmo,or elmo sits on his sholder and attacks his hair.hes never bitten me once yet.

its a shame but i got elmo at 4 months old and the lady that had him never introduced him to anyone else so he only likes blonde haired ladys lmao :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a Hahns macaw who love`s everyone thankfully.
I took him on because his original owner couldn`t get on with him and wanted rid.
In the beginning he was horrible very aggressive but with time, care and understanding he`s a different bird who loves attention but is still a little hand shy.

I admit I did have a wing clipped in a bid to save him from injuring himself while flying around the house I have an open plan house you see very few dorrs.but it was a waist of time he fly`s beautifully so I won`t bother again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts