Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make a nice big vivarium and put a few smaller monitors in it. I want to use strong materials, so what are the best safest to use? I want glass that will not smash easily obviously. I also want good strong wood or metals but what woods are OK to use, do any contain toxins that may harm the animals living in it? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
how big?
what do you want to keep in it?

Loads of options, but it really depends on the temperature, humidity and other environmental requirements of the animal

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I use osb for my monitor vivs, good and strong and you can buy it already waterproofed, ive found its claw resistant, takes loads of abuse of my bosc monitors and no signs of any damage or rot due to high temps and humidity.,I use 6mm toughened glass for the doors.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use osb for my monitor vivs, good and strong and you can buy it already waterproofed, ive found its claw resistant, takes loads of abuse of my bosc monitors and no signs of any damage or rot due to high temps and humidity.,I use 6mm toughened glass for the doors.
Thanks a lot mate but can you explain what type of wood you use please? I have never heard of osb wood

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
OSB is a cheap chipboard, wouldnt be my personal first choice, but it does the job as long as it is properly sealed

the best choice of materials really depends on the species you want to keep

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Osb is the board they usually use to board up windows, its not that cheap a sheet more than chipboard less than mdf or ply, not the prettiest but you can easily cover the outside to make it more aesthetically looking., comes in thicknesses up to 18mm. My boscs viv is in my shed so I dont mind the look of it, the snakes vivs in the house and the iggy viv, ive just panelled over just to make it look a little better.
its not a chipboard and is widely used for flooring and roofing, and is the main competitor for ply.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
whether or not it is called a chipboard depends where you buy it really, but, it is a board made of chips either way lol

are you not concerned about the phenolic content of OSB? or are you not using it as inner paneling? I used it on my Savs hatchling enclosure, but with an inner wall of polycarbonate, phenols are known to cause respiratory problems and to be carcinogenic

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Ive used osb for years with no ill effects to any of my animals health, I buy from 11mm up as where I get itfrom its already waterproofed and I just add another couple of coats myself tomake doubly sure.plenty of people on here use it as well with no ill effects.

every piece of chipboard ive ever seen is made up of tiny little pieces of wood almost like those in woodchp wallpaper, the timber suppliers I use to buy my osb dont sell chipboard as its not classed as wood as such.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts