Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi my names tom im new here i own a 4 month old bearded dragon.

i have a few questions my first is that i have recently swapped vivariums and my beardie is now in a 4 foot wooden one, compared to the glass 3 foot one we had before. i cant seem to get the temps up to 105 in the basking area it goes to about 90! im using a 100W bulb and a heat mat can anyone give me some suggestions to help me get it up!

also my beardie has his eyes closed all the time today, is this because he is tired or is it due to the temp because the day before he was in it and he was fine running about and he loved it.. :(

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
hi tom what sort of bulb is it ie reflector etc, whats the heat mat for? what are you using to measure the temps with?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mutt said:
hi tom what sort of bulb is it ie reflector etc, whats the heat mat for? what are you using to measure the temps with?
im jus using a 100W bulb no reflectors, the heat mat is to keep the substrate warm and im using a digital thermometer now to measure the temps at both ends.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
speedy123 said:
mutt said:
im jus using a 100W bulb no reflectors, the heat mat is to keep the substrate warm and im using a digital thermometer now to measure the temps at both ends.
does it get cold then? :wink: :lol: ideally you could do with getting a spot bulb, that way the "beam" will be localised rather than spread everywhere, the temp of 90 is fine for your bd, whats the cooler end though as you want a nice gradient, does he have any hides, wheres is he most of the time, ie cold end, hot end, middle etc etc

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote]does it get cold then? :wink: :lol: ideally you could do with getting a spot bulb, that way the "beam" will be localised rather than spread everywhere, the temp of 90 is fine for your bd, whats the cooler end though as you want a nice gradient, does he have any hides, wheres is he most of the time, ie cold end, hot end, middle etc etc[/quote]

yeh sorry i have a spot bulb, but my beardie is only 4 months old so doesnt he need the basking area to reach 105F? the cooler end is around 75-80F. he stays in the middle perched on his log, he is nice and warm when we get him out so i dont think he is cold :)

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
have you put the thermometer where the bd is? he could just be getting used to his new surroundings, what substrate is he on?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mutt said:
have you put the thermometer where the bd is? he could just be getting used to his new surroundings, what substrate is he on?
yeh the thermometer is just under his perch. he is on sand, yeh he is just very docile and keeps closing his eyes all the time wont move alot even when i take him out, ate well though 12 crickets and 2 mealworms so thats encouraging, would you say my viv set up is fine then?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
you were doing ok until you said sand, what sort of sand........please dont reply if your going to say calci crap :wink:

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
forgot to ask what size crix are you feeding him, same as for the mealworms and without seeing your viv pass :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mutt said:
you were doing ok until you said sand, what sort of sand........please dont reply if your going to say calci crap :wink:
bird sand i think she recommended it from my reptile shop but today i put in some desert sand to fill it up better, why what is wrong with the sand when i bought it i was just given it :S

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mutt said:
forgot to ask what size crix are you feeding him, same as for the mealworms and without seeing your viv pass :wink: :lol:
im feeding him medium size crickets, and medium size meal worms i think, he eats the 12 a day most days now and the meal worms 2 times a week. ill post a pic of the viv set up if you want?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm they arent bigger than his head i dont think and the reptile shop told me he is on medium, he eats them up with ease but there quiet a few big ones, you suggest i dont feed them him?

he is also shedding at the moment dont know if that means anything but could that be due to his eyes closing and lack of movement?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
speedy123 said:
hmm they arent bigger than his head i dont think and the reptile shop told me he is on medium, he eats them up with ease but there quiet a few big ones, you suggest i dont feed them him?

he is also shedding at the moment dont know if that means anything but could that be due to his eyes closing and lack of movement?
if they are big big then no, as for the shedding yeah possibly, if you give him a bath, that will help with his shed and plus if hes dehydrated that will help as well, as for the shop telling you they are on mediums...hmmm there should be a label on the box saying what size they are, oh what ever you do, if you do give him a bath, dont let him stay in it, give him fresh water, the water should be luke warm and not too deep, he might blow himself up when he goes in and run around like a lunatic but dont worry about it, also using a very soft toothbrush give him a gentle wash.....these are just my opinions and without being there can only give you my what i would do opinion :wink:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if they are big big then no, as for the shedding yeah possibly, if you give him a bath, that will help with his shed and plus if hes dehydrated that will help as well, as for the shop telling you they are on mediums...hmmm there should be a label on the box saying what size they are, oh what ever you do, if you do give him a bath, dont let him stay in it, give him fresh water, the water should be luke warm and not too deep, he might blow himself up when he goes in and run around like a lunatic but dont worry about it, also using a very soft toothbrush give him a gentle wash.....these are just my opinions and without being there can only give you my what i would do opinion :wink:
yeh i gave him a warm bath wasnt to bad jus stood there, then scrapped at the sides which was time to get him out lol. yeh i think they are medium and i have had him a week and a bit now and have been feeding him the same size ones since. i will just keep monitoring it then.

as for the viv everything sound ok? and 90F wont cause him any problems?

here is the pic of the viv by the way:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
hey mate, just saw this thread, aint been on in a few days.
Ok simple answer, 90 is too low you want, as u said atleast 105, possibly up to 120 even.
all you need to do is get him closer to that bulb, it looks from the pic the face of the bulb [diagnally] is about 12-15 inches from the basking spot.
reduce that to 8 inches [by raising the bask, adding more height] and it should get there.

How is he now?

Dean

·
Registered
191 Posts
Slow, tired lizzie?

Don't know if beardies are the same as my lizzies but mine get slow and tired looking when they shed their skins. It puts them down for a couple of days, sleeping a lot, not wanting to eat much and just lying still.
Perhaps the change of viv at the same time as shedding has just stressed him a bit. Please be sure to let us all know how he gets on. Good luck!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey bonnie, he was just impacted so after he pooped out all the sand he back to his good old self! the relief lol

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hey Speedy,

Glad 2 hear ur Beardie's OK. Ours are 3 months and we've kept them on sand. Firstly we were given wood chip by the rep shop, thn we tried bird sand, tehn calci sand, and all seemed to be wrong!! So we've reverted to paper towel for the mean time. Doesn't look half as impressive but it's real piece of mind!

With regard to temps, we had a similar prob, have a look at this thread:

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=9474

Peeps had some really helpful comments. Luckily we got her to the vets and she's on the mend now.

Good luck M8, :thumb:

Alex & Cand

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey Alex & Cand,

yeh the sand is a real pain for little BD's shame they never tell you it when they take all the money of you :( yeh im using a newspaper at the moment its alot easier to clean and my poor little BD cant ambush his crickets because they hear him coming! this way he has to run to get his food rather than be a bit lazy :)

yeh the temps are getting better get 100 in the hot end and basking goes to about 110 so im all sorted, i had to cover up some of the air vents and the heat mat wasnt stuck on properly but ill give that thread a read for future reference and thanks for the advice.

have fun with your BD and let me know how its getting on ;)

speedy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts