Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Im going to say im a complete newbie to keeping reptiles, even though ive had a cornsnake and skink as a child. The reason for this is due to buying pets i wasnt allowed as a kid and mother getting rid of them within a month lol.(by getting rid i mean to pet shop not disposing of them)

Im very experienced in keeping oddball fish including snakeheads and l numbers so keeping pets is not new but reptiles sort of are.

Im after getting a small group of crested geckos in future hope of breeding them, i havent kept a pet without always heading towards breeding or hoping to breed so im starting as i mean to carry on.

I will be trying to purchase 3 intresting morphs of hatchling geckos if possible or considering buying at least one soon as i want one now lol..

First of all im getting a 30x30x45 exo terra tank how old would this hold 3 crested till ? also what size heater for back wall would be needed for viv this size?

Also any info would be welcome ive been researching for last 2 weeks but with fishkeeping experience i know that listening to actual keepers is normally better than reading websites all contradicting each other with info..

thanks all

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
would i be better getting a 45x45x60 or would hatchlings not like this?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
It's widely recommended that cresties don't live together all the time (just coming together for breeding). This is because males mature earlier than females, there will be dominance issues, males will pester the females and the strain of producing eggs too young or too often can be fatal.

A young crestie can be kept in a 30x30x45 (but only a single one and not for too long). Smaller enclosures are good for making the gecko feel secure and to make sure they're eating.

I'd probably only keep one (possibly 2 females) in a 45x45x60 but you'd have to keep an eye on them for bullying

Remember that experience is invaluable to this hobby, so don't go rushing into anything :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's widely recommended that cresties don't live together all the time (just coming together for breeding). This is because males mature earlier than females, there will be dominance issues, males will pester the females and the strain of producing eggs too young or too often can be fatal.

A young crestie can be kept in a 30x30x45 (but only a single one and not for too long). Smaller enclosures are good for making the gecko feel secure and to make sure they're eating.

I'd probably only keep one (possibly 2 females) in a 45x45x60 but you'd have to keep an eye on them for bullying

Remember that experience is invaluable to this hobby, so don't go rushing into anything :)
Hi and thanks was just thinking of starting with one and increasing as and when but thanks for the info ive read that many care sheets im getting confused myself lol.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Yeah there is so much conflicting advice! It also depends on the individual animal as to what husbandry you use, some prefer cooler temps and others hotter. The same principle with space. Seeing as these are quite active lizards and enjoy jumping around, I feel that they should be provided with as much space as possible :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.