Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all first of all thanks for the help this year but want some help again now about breeding my snakes i have 3 corns allin a 4 foot viv 2f 1m and want to no when it is breeding season for them and should i take the male out off the viv second of all i have 2 cali king 2 brred i got told that they are ok to beed so agian when and how to breed them and last of all i have 2 boas they are not old enoght to breed yet as they as this years but if i leave them in the sames viv will he kill her by as i got told raping her as she is so young if so when will i have to seperate them as they have never gone foe one an other yet i was on about spliting them up after cristmas as have to get a heat mat for one of my calli king viv as that is what is in my other boas viv at the moment any help would be gratfull

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Hmm ok that took quite an effort to understand but ill give it a go.
Firstly snakes shouldnt really be kept together, I used to when I was first starting out because I didnt have the space not to, but it is easier if they are not kept togther.
secondly king snakes should never be kept together, they are cannabalistic and will not hesitate in attacking and eating each other if given the chance.
I would also not recommened keeping boas together, its easier not to.
Hope this answers some if not all of your questions.

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
Firstly as already mentioned, You MUST house your snakes seperately, especially when it come to Kings, and Boas,

As for Breeding, the corns the female shud always be introduced into the males home, as the females are more aggressive over territory,

The Kings are the same, but need to be watched, due to cannablism, the snakes can turn on each other, so its best to put them in with each other and watch for an hour, then seperate them once mating has been witnessed or the hour has run out,

With the Boas ill let some one with more boa experience answer it for you

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Boas are the same as pretty much all snakes, female goes into males home.
Can you imagine a 9ft female boa getting grumpy with a 5ft male over territory? not going to be pretty, if she is in an unknown territory allready owned by a male, she will be far more receptive.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
It is also easier for a male to follow her scent trail in his home - as the females whole viv will have an overwhelming scent already.

In all honesty I would hold off of breeding for this year, spend the rest of the year researching and getting the kings and boas set up in their own vivs and then have another think about it next time around.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry, but I disagree with the point about not keeping corns together.
I have been keeping corns together for 12 years and I have never had a problem, although I only keep them together when they are a similar size.
Dunno about Kings, but I have to admit I've never heard of anyone keeping Kings together so probably true for them.
Not meaning to hijack the thread but this point always bugs me :)

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
It is not ideal to keep any snakes together as it is harder to monitor their health status - however the main point here is the kings as they are highly cannibalistic!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sos all

sorry all my 2 kings are in seperate viv and my boas will be after christmas i was only going to breeding them if it wasnt hard but like someone said mite wait a bit and have a good read up on breeding them my boas cannot be breed yet as they are this years breed iread on a site hognose snakes northwest that i have to not feed them for 2weeks then leave them with a heat of 50f is that true about king snakes i have only been keeping snakes for about 1 year now and all my snakes are in good health all my corns are in the sames viv as when i got them that was how they came but i swop a male for a female and put her in the viv

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
your corns will breed easily if you have a male and female
you dont relaly have to cool them or anything at all.
if i were you id seperate them all for a few days in end of feb-march just so tehy (miss) each other if you like.that way they will be fiesty if its the right time for them and you can watch them and clarify if they do anything or not if they do keep them together untill they stop chasign eachother about and actually mating them sperate them for a few days again then put them abck int do this about 3 times:0 it should work:D
DONT listen to anyone that says its hard to breed them its soo blooming rewarding.last year i bred my corns for the first time by accident and it was amazing i recomend it to anyone.the hardest part is hatching them.i ended up with 5 clutches within 2 weeks so i was really stressed for space luckily my firend had room in her incubator!!!
anywho if you have any questions let me knwo n ill try help you but u seem to know your stuff:D
i hope it workls out for you as it is an amzing feeling seeing them piping
!!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks

thanks klair328 will do

1 - 11 of 11 Posts