Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ... just want to know, what would be the best method to introduce to young boas to each other, one is a year old and the other is just under a year....i do have them in separate vivs but i would like to see them together sometimes, the last time i had one in each hand the older one struck at it so i have been very reluctant to put them together any help would be great.
P.S i know some of uses will say they are not social animals but u would never know when you would have to keep them in the same viv for some sort of reason

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
well i now people will say there not to be mixed. what types are they and what size vivs are they in at the mo.THis idea is not comeing from experience, or from any thing in a book just an idea, you could put one of the snakes in a smaller viv and put that viv in to the other snakes iv, they could maybe get used to each other, with out killing each other, if they try attack each other well you wouldn't be able to put them together, if evrything is ok try put them together and see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Well if they are in separate vivs and they are only a year old I don't see the reason to put them together?? Or do you mean be able to get both at at the same time??

I'd suggest you switch the boas around and put them into different vivs for a while....

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
to start with what sex are they, females can be kept together but not all the time, males will tend to fight duirng breeding season,

if you must put them together, it is best to split a viv with a mesh wall so that they can see,taste,sense each other, this will allow them to get used to each other, then u need io put into another viv, one each end and watch to see that they dont attack each other. increasing the time they are together each time.

if this is successful then they shud then be able to live together.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
What are your reasons for wanting to put them together? If it is just so you can have them out together I can see why you would want to try but saying that you never know if you might have to put them together I can't understand.. If something goes wrong with one of your vivs for example you could always put them into seperate tubs within the 'working' viv while you fix the other? If one has already struck at the other in the past I would use extreme caution! You don't want this to end in tragedy which can happen very quickly if you are not on your gaurd.. Do you know the sex of these snakes and are they the same type of Boa? I have seen someone seperate a viv using a piece of perspex and putting a snake either side of it to guage thier reactions before putting them together.. As I say, I'm not entirely sure what your reasons are but if you do decide to put them together be ready to jump in and perhaps be bitten in the process!! :lol:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are both commons, and they are in 5ft/2ft/18 inch viv each... im not sure what sex they are , i just know they are well natured reps and i dont think it would bother me either ....i would never be interested in breeding.Its just a lot of hassle getting one out and then trying to get it back in which takes a lot of time as they are very reluctant to go back in and then doing it again with the other one ,its just if you could get them out at the same time it would be great and save a bit of time as well.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
hotty said:
They are both commons, and they are in 5ft/2ft/18 inch viv each... its just ive seen other rep keepers having them in the same viv. As i say im not planning to keep them together.
If you are not planning to keep them together and they are both happy/healthy as they are I would personally leave them seperate... I have some of my boas together at the moment that are breeding but I have had them together in the past while they are not breeding and never had a problem..

My boas seem to get on well, or at least tolerate each other even when not breeding..

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
I have two boas together at the mo because I'm trying to get the to breed.

They seem quite comfortable with each other, they like to share same spots at times, sometimes they stay away from each other, but they seem to enjoy being together.

I had a problem in the past, I used to take them out of the viv for feeding. One day I fed the female and put her in the enclosure. Then I fed the male and put him back. BIG MISTAKE :shock:

Of couse the male had the smell of the rat in his mouth and went to near the female who attacked him, and nearly caught him in the face, she's missed by an inch and caught him in the neck.

Me and my wife took about ten minutes to get them apart, it was terrible and she almost lost her bottom jaw. As a miracle of nature, she fully recovered and was eating again a week later, but from there on I kept them in separate vivs.

I intend to keep my boas together now for good, but what I'm gonna do is, when I'll keep a spare viv to put the female in after feeding for a couple of days becfore I put her back into the male's viv, this way, I think they won't attack each other.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts