Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there my hubby thought it a good idea to buy our 10 year old 2x ybs for his 10th birthday, along with everything the pet shop said we would need, a month on i have realised that a the petshop worker seems to know nothing about turtles filters tanks etc, i have read the sticky on volume and filtration with links to 3 US online shops, (doesnt really help me) yes google is my friend and so far have put in at least 200 hrs of research into giving the turtles a good life, soo can anyone recommend some good uk online suppliers, a good cannister filter and possibly a tank supplier as a fishtank imo is not the way to go, i really want to do the best for the turtles as the men folk have deserted the camp and left the upkeep to me.
thanks in advance

jewelz

·
Administrator
17,059 Posts
Zooplus are the cheapest for Eheim external cannister filters - you want to be looking at the 2213, 2215 or 2217 ranges.

Car boots, eBay, Freecycle are good for second hand bargain priced tanks. [email protected] do the Clearseal range without lids which is what you want, but their prices have gone up so it is quite a lot if you want new. Have a look in Classifieds on here - Shelled or Aquatics, or you could try a Wanted ad. ND Aquatics are also recommended for online tanks.

You really want the biggest tank you have space for. If your 2 YBS turn out to be female they can reach 12"+. As they cannot be sexed when young, if they are 2 males they may well not get on, plus if you have one of each he will pester her and they may well have to kept in separate setups.

Some of us - (me, Simon, AnythingWithAShell) have indoor ponds. Ours is in a utility room so not the most attractive feature, the other 2 have theirs in their living rooms, but are now in their outdoor pond. They can, although we don't, be kept in a pond over the winter, but need to be a certain age/weight and healthy.

They will be able to live outside in the summer months if you are able to have a pond (we also have a thread on this) or a freestanding tub etc with basking facilities.

If you want to post some photos we will be able to id (often turtles are wrongly labelled when sold at pet shops) and give some pointers for your setup.

Sorry to read that the care has fallen to you - sadly, children often loose interest in their "pets" once the novelty wares off. That said, they are fascinating creatures and once the setup is right for them they will thrive with very few problems, plus they can become addictive!

Do ask if you need anymore help with regards to heating, lighting or feeding etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thank you

thank you for reply i too have been looking into some sort of indoor and outdoor pond was looking at rubbermaid tub but couldnt find a uk supplier , just to clarify son is still besotted with Danger and Chloe but he is too young to do the water changes etc, i will go checkout the places you mentioned and bookmark them all,
not sure if pics will show so for now there is the underbelly of Danger.

ok pic didnt show will try and sort that a little later

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.