Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, my son purchased a young russian tortoise (less than a year old). it seems to have dug a pit and hibinated. so we've turned the heat lamp off. However, bit worried how long he should he hibinating (if at all??).

should we wake him and if so whats the safest way of doing this?

sorry for all the questions. This is our first tortoise and really not sure whats best for young tortoises. The books we brought dont advise on this :S

Many thanks

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
What sort of tempratures is it in the room where the enclosure is?

If it's room temprature it will be far too warm to hibernate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.

yes, he's indoors. so he's not hibernating, even though he looked like he was?

should I just turn up the heat lamp and start feeding again then? sudden increase in temp wont be a shock for him?

sorry for sounding paranoid but son lost his old gecko recent so want to play it safe with Reggie

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

yes, he's indoors. so he's not hibernating, even though he looked like he was?

should I just turn up the heat lamp and start feeding again then? sudden increase in temp wont be a shock for him?

sorry for sounding paranoid but son lost his old gecko recent so want to play it safe with Reggie
I don't keep Horsfield's but from what I understand they can be quite difficult to keep up as they have a very strong hibernation instinct even compared with other hibernating species. Don't just leave him at room temprature as if he is dug down and not feeding etc it will make him use his reserves up far too quick I think.

Hibernation should be done around the 5 degree mark after a proper wind down.

Depending on how long you have had the tortoise it might be a good idea to over winter as opposed to hibernating but thats your desicion.

When I've overwinterd my Hermanns I kept the temps as normal and dug them up to offer them food and bathe them to keep them hydrated.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Hi there, my son purchased a young russian tortoise (less than a year old). it seems to have dug a pit and hibinated. so we've turned the heat lamp off. However, bit worried how long he should he hibinating (if at all??).

should we wake him and if so whats the safest way of doing this?

sorry for all the questions. This is our first tortoise and really not sure whats best for young tortoises. The books we brought dont advise on this :S

Many thanks
If you had him from a breeder, they should have given you good care sheets covering his, but if from a pet outlet, it's unlikely you will be able to stop it hibernating as it will be an import, so likely will have done it before and as others have said, they are harder than most species to keep awake. Make sure the substrate is watered to prevent dehydration and give him a few weeks to settle. Do make sure you are using soil or a dense substrate though for this reason.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts