Reptile Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live here in Kefalonia and was given an wild tortoise a couple months ago, he had a liking for sunbathing in the road!!. He is a Hermann (called Hercules).

Question 2 is about hibernation. I have read several articles on how to hibernate tortoises but they all say that the temperature needs to be below 15 degrees. It doesn't stay that cold here. What do I do? I don't have a spare fridge to hibernate him in, and I wouldn't have the confidence to do that anyway. It has been suggested by other tortoise groups that, because he is wild, I just leave him out in the garden to fend for himself as he has done in years gone by. Is this a good idea? Should I leave him out during the day and bring him in at night? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Hercules

·
Registered
520 Posts
Why dont you release him nearby where you found him (away from the road obviously)

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
I agree please return him, there are so few tortoises left in the wild.

Also if temps where he was found never go that low maybe he does not hibernate. What species is he?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
This tortoise needs to be returned to the wild, it is really unfair you keeping him - if he has survived to whatever age he is then he surely knows what he is doing in terms of feeding, hibernation and survival.

Huge amounts of tortoises are being stolen from the wild for trade and you are not helping the species by keeping this one. I know someone will argue 'what is one more' but if everyone thought this then the wild population of tortoises will cease being.

PLEASE PLEASE return this tortoise.

If you are so enthralled by tortoises then please consider buying a captive bred one.

Tamie

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
Agree completely - this tortoise has far less chance of survival with human intervention than if left to it's own devices. If fed human type food his gut flora will most likely increase with bad results. He needs to walk a wide range of his natural habitat to keep worm popultaion under control too. Keeping him captive will mean that he is continually reinfesting himself, and possibly you too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.