Reptile Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Just thought I would post on here asking for some advice.
I own 2 Herman Tortoises, Every year their eating patterns are ok and as they are both young I've always followed my vets advice and not hibernated them. Now the problem I'm having is the bigger of the two has been asleep for about 2months now. I've woken him up on 2 occasions and bathed him and attempted to feed him. The younger tortoise is walking around every day and basking ect. However the larger tortoise is I'm assuming trying to hibernate.
If this is the case is there any risk with me waking him up? Should I just leave him to sleep in his tortoise table or should I move him into a more suitable place to hibernate? I've been told to put him in a shoe box of straw in the airing Cubard. However I'm not sure if this is the correct way to hibernate him. Also not sure when he would wake up? Also the smaller tortoise is eating fine and not trying to hibernate.
Bassactly my worries are harming him by disturbing him. Or harming him by leaving him in the tortoise table.
Would really appreciate some advice

Many thanks
Ricky

·
Registered
8,166 Posts
Hey everyone. Just thought I would post on here asking for some advice.
I own 2 Herman Tortoises, Every year their eating patterns are ok and as they are both young I've always followed my vets advice and not hibernated them. Now the problem I'm having is the bigger of the two has been asleep for about 2months now. I've woken him up on 2 occasions and bathed him and attempted to feed him. The younger tortoise is walking around every day and basking ect. However the larger tortoise is I'm assuming trying to hibernate.
If this is the case is there any risk with me waking him up? Should I just leave him to sleep in his tortoise table or should I move him into a more suitable place to hibernate? I've been told to put him in a shoe box of straw in the airing Cubard. However I'm not sure if this is the correct way to hibernate him. Also not sure when he would wake up? Also the smaller tortoise is eating fine and not trying to hibernate.
Bassactly my worries are harming him by disturbing him. Or harming him by leaving him in the tortoise table.
Would really appreciate some advice

Many thanks
Ricky
I am not sure where you get your hibernation information, as it is bad advice.
Firstly your vet, is he or she a tortoise vet?
As suggesting not hibernating a tortoise when healthy is not good. Unless of course its a non hibernating species.
It sounds like your tortoise knows better than your vet, as he/she is trying to hibernate themselves. Waking them up, and then letting them go back to sleep is asking for trouble I am afraid.
Please check out the hibernation instructions on www.thetortoisehouse.com or www.tortoises.net
Tortoises need to hibernate in cold places that dont go below 5c. So an airing cupboard is completely the wrong place, as is a loft.
Most keepers will hibernate their tortoises from October until late Feb or early March, depending on the size of the tortoise, and of course the weather outside. Now is the wrong time to concider hibernation.
How old are your tortoises?
What size are your tortoises?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts