Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Western hognose five weeks ago from a friend of a friend who wanted to get rid of him. When he arrived there was a mat inside his glass tank not on a stat, and he'd been sleeping under it where the temps were over 110F - I don't understand why he isn't burnt or dead but whatever. I took the mat out and put it on a stat, now warm side temps are 86F. Do you think by dropping the temps so much and so suddenly I half put him into hibernation mode?

The reason I ask is he hasn't eaten since I got him. I'm not worrying too much yet, he's still active and he just had a nice healthy shed, but I'm trying to figure out why he's on hunger strike. He's on a 12 hour light cycle (I don't plan to hibernate my snakes) and he's still really active so I don't think he's actually going into hibernation... but could his body have switched off the "eat something" signals because of the temp drop?

·
Registered
662 Posts
mine went 5 weeks without eating anything i tried everything i could think of but in the end ate when he wanted to, he then ate well for a few weeks then left his last meal but he didn't just leave it he peed all over it then went to the other side of feed box. :sick: anyway it's still a mystery to me why he goes off his food for a while but it's never for too long so i don't worry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts