·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Paws for Thought Pet Centres, Leeds
143 York Road, A64
Leeds
LS97RD

:no1: Voted one of the best pet centres in the UK by "Which?" Magazine for the care given to our animals
Come see for yourselves!
Virtual Tour

:welcome1: It's finally here! Paws for Thought Online Pet Centre! We are now selling our vivariums (including our starter kits) online and will continue to expand our product range as time goes on.

All our vivariums are Ready Built and delivered to your door anywhere on Mainland UK!

Paws for Thought Pet Centres is renowned throughout Yorkshire for the excellent value of all our goods. Now, with the launch of our online shop, we will soon be able to offer these amazing prices throughout the UK.

We will be constantly expanding our range so check back to see what new sections have opened. If you can not find what you are looking for please feel free to send us an email to see if we can order it for you.

Wooden Vivariums

For more information, and to order, check out
:arrow: Wooden Vivarium Price List

24" x 15" x 15" .............. £52.99

30" x 15" x 15" .............. £60.99

36" x 15" x 15" .............. £72.99

48" x 15" x 15" .............. £90.00

36" x 18" x 18" .............. £82.99

48" x 18" x 18" .............. £105.00

36" x 24" x 24" .............. £90.00

48" x 24" x 24" .............. £120.00

60" x 24" x 24" .............. £135.00

Chameleon Vivarium
24" x 18" x 32" .............. £79.00

Standard Tortoise Vivarium
48" x 36" x 12" .............. £79.99

Small Deluxe Tortoise Vivarium
36" x 24" x 12" .............. £87.99

Large Deluxe Tortoise Vivarium
48" x 36" x 12" .............. £105.00

Exo Terra Vivariums

:arrow: Vivariums for Reptiles and other Exotic Pets

30 x 30 x 45cm ............. £31.99

45 x 45 x 45cm ............. £47.99

45 x 45 x 60cm ............. £56.99

60 x 45 x 60cm ............. £79.99

Reptile Starter Kits

:arrow: Starter Kits for Reptiles and other Exotic Pets

Bearded Dragon Starter Kit ............ £250

Tortoise Starter Kit ...................... £135

Leopard Gecko Starter Kit ............. £39.99

Cornsnake Starter Kit ................... £39.99

King Snake Starter Kit
...................... £39.99

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
just a quick note, you might want to put a milage limit on the "leeds area" delivery option?? because i say i live in Leeds but ur shops about 20miles away from me

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea, thanks! Will make it clear on the delivery page.

and just extended the local delivery rate for the whole of West Yorkshire! :thumb:

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Just to give kudos where well deserved, I got a 5X2X2 from them back in May and it's fantastic.

Also, THANK YOU for offering COMPLETE starter kits including thermostats! For once a shop that offers a proper starter kit - though I do wish your Faunarium kits also came with Mat Stats.

Now, out of curiosity, I've noticed Paws For Thought lists the following species on the website:

Chalcides oscellatus (Oscellated Skink)
Agama stellio (Starred Agama)
Natrix tessellata (Dice Snake)
Bufo viridis (Green Toad)

All of these species are listed in the European Protected Species list.

Do you offer paperwork stating that these animals are captive bred, wild-caught outside the UK or the necessary EPS Licenses to own them if they don't have documentary proof of CB/Outside UK origin?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the kudos! :smile:

We have been trying to sort out this EPS problem with Natural England and as expected they have not been very helpful. :-x

We can confirm they are from either captive bred in the UK or imported from outside Europe and so comply with the new laws. However, there is no legal document that can confirm they are from these sources like you get with Hermann's Tortoises for example.

We will happily provide in writing the source of the reptile (and sign and date it of course) to show where you got it from so if there is any trouble they can trace it back to us.

Fingers crossed they will sort out this mess soon!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Yep the quality of the vivs paws for thought have are to a high standard and my geckos love theirs!!! : victory:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the thermostat on the other set ups is to control the output of the incandescent bulb which gets VERY hot (the bulb being up to 150W) where as a heatmat on the smaller starter kits is more like 7W... lol ...

the Geckos and the Snakes don't require as high a temperature so a heatmat is fine and will not get to a temperature where it can harm the occupants (unlike an incandescent bulb where a thermostat is vital). Of course a Mat Stat can be used as well though most people would not consider it a necessity. That would be up to the owner.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Do you advise people to buy thermostats though?
Ive seen a fair few photos of plastic tubs that have melted on those mats you say 'dont get too hot'!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We do advise customers that matstats are available though if the mat gets hot enough to melt the bottom of the viv it could be due to a number of reasons. More than likely the mat is faulty or of a low quality or it is heavily insulated underneath. the faunariums have a gap underneath them so this should not be an issue but like most electrical appliances they must be regularly checked for wear and tear and if there is any doubt should be replaced.

I have used the starter kits myself and they have been great. No melting! lol

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
The problem being that by the time you find out your stat is faulty it could of fried your snake.
i guess its down to preference but all my mats and bulbs are on stats.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Nicely laid out website :)

Only thing is that on the list of lizards, there is no indication of which ones are CB/LTC/WC? Which would be a useful bit of info to have on each :)

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
how long does delivery take on average please?

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
the thermostat on the other set ups is to control the output of the incandescent bulb which gets VERY hot (the bulb being up to 150W) where as a heatmat on the smaller starter kits is more like 7W... lol ...

the Geckos and the Snakes don't require as high a temperature so a heatmat is fine and will not get to a temperature where it can harm the occupants (unlike an incandescent bulb where a thermostat is vital). Of course a Mat Stat can be used as well though most people would not consider it a necessity. That would be up to the owner.
I'd have to argue this one. A mat stat absolutely IS a necessity... and I'll tell you why.

I've just taken the train up to visit one of your customers - someone who bought a snake starter kit from you very recently - because he was slightly concerned about the behaviour of his snake. Spending a lot of time hiding on the cool side. My first question was "What temperature is the warm side and do you have a thermostat."

No thermostat and no thermometer in the kit.

I offered to visit because we're relatively close (in Hudds), and I have a lovely little TN1 infrared "zappy" thermometer - so we could do spot checks on the temperatures quickly and easily.

Here are the temperature readings we got with that little 7-watt mat:

Cool side: 76 degrees fahrenheit. This isn't bad for a cool side temp. This was where the snake was curled up, under the water bowl, when we got there.
Middle of the tank: 83/84. This was a little warm.
Warm side of the tank, on the top of the substrate: 111 degrees fahrenheit. Given that basking temp recommended for a corn or king is 85-90... that's not reasonable.
Warm side of the tank, under the substrate, directly on the floor of the tub: 135 degrees fahrenheit.
The heat mat itself was spot reading between 135 and 145 degrees.

The mat was being used on a melamine countertop and had a sheet of card between itself and the tub. That's unacceptably hot - well into the range that could cause permanent physical damage to the reptile. It's right for a monitor, maybe, but not a temperate snake.

I hesitate to think how hot it might have been in summertime.

They returned to the shop before I actually visited, and were told they did not require a thermostat even though they wanted to buy one and that it would be a waste of money. They wanted the thermostat, but they had enough confidence in the salesman to believe they didn't need one. I'm really VERY glad I went up to visit them and could show them how warm it was getting in there.

The mat is now propped against one side of the enclosure rather than underneath, and should provide background heat (though it is still too warm right next to the mat) until they get a mat stat from the online supplier I recommended. Shame the advice they were given by the brick and mortar shop was... inadequate. They'd have bought the thermostat from yourselves otherwise.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Im glad im not the only 1 that agrees a thermostat is a must.
Lets hope you take notice , i saw you(pawsforthought) were reading the threads the other day about mats with no stats so you MUST know the dangers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree deffo need a stat and for the sake of Av £30 it aint worth the risk and can also run more than one heat mat per stat : victory:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how long does delivery take on average please?
National Delivery should only be about 3 days.

I see everyone feels very strongly about the Mat Stat issue. Though can I point out that the classifieds section is not the place to be debating this.

To quote T-Bo:

Rules & Considerations

Please do not make posts that are not regarding the sale, stuff like "I would buy that, but I dont have any money" and "if only you were nearer". Please also do not disrupt sales with unwanted or negative opinions with stuff like "thats nice, but it seems a bit expensive to me" and "I thought I saw one cheaper over there". Posts like this may be removed.

However we are glad you have brought your concerns to our attention and so in future we will be selling the Starter Kits with Mat Stats clearly recommended. Starter Kits with Mat Stats are now available from the website ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any plans on doing a crested gecko starter kit?

Or if we get in touch can you do discounts if someone wanted to buy everything from your store? ;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any plans on doing a crested gecko starter kit?

Or if we get in touch can you do discounts if someone wanted to buy everything from your store? ;)
yep! We have been thinking about a few other starter kits and so with your suggestion the Crested Gecko Starter Kit is now online. : victory:

Crested Gecko Starter Kit...................... £159.99

• 32" x 24" x 18" Wooden Vivarium
or
• 24" x 18" x 24" Exo Terra Vivarium
• 11" x 11" Heat Mat
• Mat Stat Thermostat
• Water/Food Dishes
• Orchid Bark Substrate
• Sphagnum Moss
• 2 Medium Artificial Plants
• Medium Jungle Vine
• Mineral Supplements
• Thermometer
• Hygrometer
• Mister Spray

For more information check out the Starter Kits Page
:arrow: Reptile Starter Kits

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
However we are glad you have brought your concerns to our attention and so in future we will be selling the Starter Kits with Mat Stats clearly recommended. Starter Kits with Mat Stats are now available from the website ;)
Great to hear it :)

I didn't want to sound like I was talking just opinion about the heat mats - that's why I was quite glad to have facts, not opinions, to post about. Facts about a kit provided by yourself, and facts about the temperatures.

I am very, very glad to see that you'll be recommending mat stats on the heat mats in future AND that the website will be doing the mat stats as part of the starter kits.

Incidentally, I was REALLY pleased with the size of the faunarium tub that the snake starter kits come with when I saw it. That's a fantastic size for a young snake or gecko, and would potentially last much longer than the smaller Geo Flats I've seen in starter kits.

And as I said before, I've no complaints about the vivarium you supplied us with in summer, either - it's fantastic, looks good, and is doing the job well.

Thought about doing customised ones?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts