Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the royal that i've had now for 12 days and handled first on Sunday hissed at me last night and tonight when i went to pick him up. He hasn't made a strike attempt, and it may just be because i was wearing gloves and it's harder to get a grip on him so i might have just annoyed him, but is this any indication that he'll bite, or should i ignore the hiss?

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Why are you wearing gloves, don't want to get tagged?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
One of mine hisses all the time but never strikes, she's just a bit grumpy, I wouldn't worry.

Take ya gloves off you big girl :lol2:

Reactions: rickwd

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of mine hisses all the time but never strikes, she's just a bit grumpy, I wouldn't worry.

Take ya gloves off you big girl :lol2:
I did, then he turned so his head was pointing in my direction. Still trying to suss him out!

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I'm a firm believer in confidence with any animal. Act confident, make sure, decisive moves.

To be honest if my royals hissing I leave them alone, however if I need to move them I'll just pick them up anyway.

With him still being new I'd probably say leave him be and hell come round : victory:

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Count yourself lucky, a lot of people cant get them to strike rats, let alone fingers :Na_Na_Na_Na:

Relax, their bites are not that bad. Just let it know you are there, then pick it up from the side or behind, not head on. Most royals are fine, a hiss does not mean it will strike. It will more likely curl up in a ball, or head off in another direction trying to escape, then you can just dive in and pick it up.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ah you don't need gloves!

One of my royals acts like he's Godzilla when you try to get him out, get a grab, give him a kiss and he settles right down.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I did, then he turned so his head was pointing in my direction. Still trying to suss him out!
Don't worry you'll learn, you'll understand his actions soon enough :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm a firm believer in confidence with any animal. Act confident, make sure, decisive moves.

To be honest if my royals hissing I leave them alone, however if I need to move them I'll just pick them up anyway.

With him still being new I'd probably say leave him be and hell come round : victory:
well there was no hissing when I first handled him so I think this is just where he's been disturbed with my cack handed attempts to get hold of him, which is why I want to handle him so he knows I'm not a threat rather than someone who will always piss him off

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've always found confidence is key. Once he knows you're just getting him out for a little play time, he'll settle right down.

·
Registered
444 Posts
my BCI Rosa she does that atleast 1/2 times a week sometimes they just tell you to leave them for 2 to 3 hrs or sometimes for a day :)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think he is that stressed because he is roaming again now. Once he gets in a position I can get hold of him I will try again

·
Registered
113 Posts
I got my Baby Royal on Sunday. She hissed at me as I tried taking her out of the container I bought her in. Just slipped my hand underneath her keeping away from her head and she settled down straight away. Had to pick her off my hand and place her in the RUB ha. Like Others have said confidence is the key just try and do it all in one movement without hesitating or jerking :).

·
Registered
314 Posts
1of my royals hissed at me once,and like yourself it took me by supprice.
I just told her to shut up and picked her straight up.
She's never done it since.
Good luck
Ps lets see a picture of your super tuff snake protection gloves;-)

·
Registered
650 Posts
My male pin always hisses, just suppose he wants to look hard (soft sh:censor:t! :lol2:)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got him :D
I decided to just open the viv door at the end that i tried to pick him up from, so he could see there was nothing scary. He was stretched out but kept his head still for a minute, then went to the edge, stopped for a minute, then came out all brave and i just put one hand under his front section and pulled the rest of his body gently with the other hand until i was holding him. Absolutely good as gold he was, he was constantly moving around my hands and arms, trying to get to my shoulders and always flicking his tongue. He was gripping me nice and tight and was reluctant to go to my wife, and eager to come back to me! Had him out a good five minutes, maybe a bit longer, and when i put him back i just put his head in the door and let him go back in his own time.

Scott the bot - ha! They're just a pair of thick canvas gloves from Wickes, nothing super strong!

·
Registered
8,490 Posts
My newly acquired 10mth old male hissed the first few times I handled him, now after a few sessions of been picked up, handled and also regular disturbances such as water changes he's settled down.

Only ever been tagged once in 26 years of snake keeping, and that was my fault - Adult royal. The actual teeth don't hurt... it's the bruises that the impact caused that hurt !!! - my wrist was black / blue / purple / yellow for weeks !

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What should the tongue be doing when docile/about to strike? I thought if they were flicking it was a sign they were ok, and if they were staring with the tongue in their mouth they could be getting ready to strike. Is that wrong?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts