Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many of you guys have or have had a hissy snake and would any one get a hissy one, ive got an eastern king snake whos hissy and rattles but just wont tame hes fine when out the viv but tends to musk me,:censor:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
i have a very hissy male hoggy, an anti social taiwanese rat snake, you dont see him you just hear the hiss and the tail rattle when you go in to lift poo etc, and a female boa who is very hissy when in shed but only then. the rest i have yet to hear hiss.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
i have a burmese that hisses all the time lol a lil bigger than a few you have mentioned... it dont bother me at all! all mouth no trousers so to speak

·
Registered
479 Posts
Every now and again the garter will hiss at me, but it's just a warning, she doesn't bite after she hisses (usually tries to do that without warning !).

·
Registered
97 Posts
my brothers albino burm hisses used to bit fine out of the viv but when in the viv the second you touch him he goes mentle hissing and barges your hand out of the way and tail whips but hasent bit in a while he sometimes half strikes but doesent open his mouth

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hes a lovely snake and around 3ft just a bucket eats like mad dnt wanna get rid of him but want a snake the kids can interact with.....

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
doesnt that put u off tho
you get used to hearing it. the absolute worst and loudest hiss i ever heard was from the hoggy. i felt the air whoosh past my ear!!!! but with him its all a bluff. the rat snake isnt though. you learn when to leave them in peace. i never approach the boa when she is in shed. i just go in and do her water, pick any poo up and give her peace. once she sheds she is fine. put a lock on the snakes viv if you are scared for your youngster.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there is a lock,but the lil ones love the snake and always want him out but gotta let them know that hes gonna go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
My CCP does nothing but hiss if he's active at the time. Even when he's in his viv on his own,wierd:p

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
i like royals cracking snakes!!
well the worst damn hissing, head banging snake i have is a royal. she would head but the sides of her tub trying to get at someone, fly at my nose every time i took her lid off. and catch your eye with a look and stare you out. she was frightening. i say was because she has now calmed right down. i moved her tub to the shelf nearest the room door to get her used to me going in and out. she wouldnt eat, now she is eating like a bucket. and tbh at one point i thought she was evil. but she wasnt. she had been with someone else before i bought her, but they let her intimidate them and they sold her on. i realised she was probably scared, and thats why she was acting like this. and she went for my nose every time because that was the heat scource nearest her. as i say she is fine now, but still needs watched for 'the signs' of an imminent attack!! i love her to bits.

·
Registered
10,032 Posts
My giant hogs have the loudest hiss I have heard, very similar to an angry cobra, more of a growl than a hiss!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts