Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up some black crickets today and found some teeny beetles in with them. They are only about 5mm and are plain brownish/black coloured. There are also a couple of caterpillar-like critters, which I assume are the larval form of the beetles, although are way bigger (about 1cm).

Any ideas what they are? Have searched on here and they are probably in the family Dermestidae, but anyone know species?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah, so keeping them on oats isn't a good idea then! have chucked in a couple of dead crickets for them to eat.

anyone ID these then?

·
Registered
240 Posts
No help, but i think there's a few thousand species of dermestid beetle. Good luck with the ID! Unless your wanting to clean up skeletons or bones, i can't think why you'd want to keep them- bane of my life, manky little critters.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
larder beetles. a house hold pest which can damage carpets, books, clothes, upholstry ect. Come with most suppliers of crix, now the best thing to have get out in your house

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
larder beetles. a house hold pest which can damage carpets, books, clothes, upholstry ect. Come with most suppliers of crix, now the best thing to have get out in your house
But frogs and lizards will eat them just as readily as crickets- which is their Final Destination in my place!:lol2:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
my whites' tree frogs love the caterpillars!: victory:

·
Banned
167 Posts
hi

i think only imported livefoods have this.

there hard to get rid of if they start breeding in a tank i had to clean my vivs out every week at one point becouse i couldent get rid of them & they were on my dragons at night stressing them out.
i had to put sticky tap all around the viv becouse they were getting out

just get you bugs somewhere else that dont have these pests eating your livefoods

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.