Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey my leo has jutters in his legs not shaking just slight jutters when he walks slow cant notice when he runs hes not in pain and stil runs around happily and climbs his exo terra rock background and has no problems just i dont think something is right. if any one has had this problem if it is a problem and knows an answer please post it

·
Registered
95 Posts
well um nevre had that problem with my leo, but 2 of my beardie babys had something similar, now i dont want to scare you but it turned out to be MBD (metabloic bone desease) if your leos a baby it could have been born this way like my 2 beardies unfortunaly my beardie babys died due to this, so if iwere you i would find a good Reptile vet in your local area and go there as soon as because it can be treated if caught early enough but the treatment i was told is very expensive, i would have gone for it myself if the babys were in a better shape. Any way hope this was helfull to you good luck :D

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
If you havent already got one put a little bottle top lid full of cuttlefish scrapings in the viv so he can lick up calcium when he feels like it. :)

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
good tip by tombraider, or use calc powder, but dont forget the twice weekly dusting of vitamins, they need the D3 to enable the calcium to be used properly. Very important with leos as they are nocternal, they dont/cant use UV for this.

Also, may be worth try a liquid calcium in the water.

If you have access to a good repitle vet, then pop him/her around for a check.

Good luck

Tony

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Hmm leos only get fed once a day right? so i guess thattd mean they always have thier food suplemented.. which seems excessive..altho we suplement most of the time for our beardies..
umn, use as directed on the bottle really... [vague example comin up]
so one pinch over 20 crix or one pinch over 10 of them and none on other 10 works the same... so iu guess however just use correct amount as described on the bottle i guess.

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
It is possible to overdose on vitamins, thats why I think twice a week is fine. just a small pinch so the crickets are lightly dusted, not swamped in the stuff. as soon as the get free in the viv (leos allowing ! the crickets start cleaning themselves.

as to the calcium, i dust the crickets twice a week also, alternate days of course to ensure the leos do get some.

We do dust all the crickets we feed to the leos on those days, not just some.

Thats 4 days supps and 3 free days, in which they have the bowl of calcium powder in the tanks, and they do seem to know when they need it.

When you think about it, mass farmed crickets are almost empty of any goodness, they provide the bulk. Thats why its recommeded to gut load crickets in addition to the supps above.

Just out of interest, has your leo just shed, and if so, has all the skin been removed. I do sometimes see one that has some left and it seems to impeed his/her movement for a while. If so, up the humidity a little in the hide, and maybe spray him a little to help.

Hope this helps

Tony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts