Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hmmm mixing snakes advice please (look i'm not doing it now ok!!)

Hello all !! just wondering what snakes can be kept together or is there a rule of thumb could a boa and a python co-habitate the same viv allowing for room etc

sorry if this is a daft question but i've always kept my snakes seperaate apart from 2 from same breed etc i understand the risk of feeding time (2 snakes same food etc)

but can you keep a corn with a royal or a Bci with a Ccp ??? my mate asked me when he visited last night why i had so many vivs when 1 big un would look good and ti be honest i couldnt answer him

any advice :2thumb:

·
Registered
25,691 Posts
The rule of thumb for me is don't mix any species that would not integrate naturally in the wild and not be on a predator-prey food chain.

This means in captivity very few species of snake can be kept together. In fact, a great deal of people will say it's better not to keep two of the same species together let alone two different ones.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
oh i did the search and yep i'm shutting this can of worms now sorry :whistling2:

its the single life for me : victory:
Lol! I would like to give you this;
:no1:
For being the first person I've seen who's searched, found the answers to your questions and then actually decided to take that information on board :D

·
Banned
303 Posts
Best avoided in my opinion. You ask about a corn and a royal being kept together. Think about the temperature and humidity each species requires. And then add brumation into the equation. I'm sure you can see many problems and understand why it's frowned upon by the masses etc. And thats without even mentioning feeding issues that would crop up...

·
Registered
817 Posts
oh i did the search and yep i'm shutting this can of worms now sorry :whistling2:

its the single life for me : victory:
Damn!!! And I thought this thread was going to provide me with my afternoons entertainment :bash:

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
just think of the fact that a boa and a royal have very different needs in temp and humidity
I wouldn't say so.

Bci temps 90* ish hot end 75 - 80 cool end 40 - 50% humidity

Royal 90* iss hot end 75 - 80 cool end 40 - 50% humidity

?

I still wouldn't co habit them though.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Damn!!! And I thought this thread was going to provide me with my afternoons entertainment :bash:
i can create another user account if ya want so we can flame each other all day :lol2:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I wouldn't say so.

?

My thinking exactly, and those are my Roayl temps alright!
Can I ask - Why do we talk in °F? Please can we use °C - Or am I missing an important reason?:blush:

·
Registered
579 Posts
I wouldn't say so.

?

my boa's are kept less warmer and with less humidity, so I should have said that I keep them under different environments

keep the royal's at 92 hotspot and 85 cool end and humidity between 50 to 60%

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Can I ask - Why do we talk in °F? Please can we use °C - Or am I missing an important reason?:blush:
Because the americans who first started keeping and writing care sheets used F, and because most stats have F and not C ;)

·
Registered
579 Posts
to be honest I use c and not f. I had to use a converter (found on google) to see how warm in c 90f is.

my stat's all have both c and f on it

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
the main reason may also be that different snakes carry different bacteria and they can be lethal to other types.

aswell as all the other reasons mentioned above.

i would never do it

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
Because I am too old to understand *C : victory:

my boa's are kept less warmer and with less humidity, so I should have said that I keep them under different environments

keep the royal's at 92 hotspot and 85 cool end and humidity between 50 to 60%
I keep some of my boas lower, but some of mine prefer a slightly higher temp : victory:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts