Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all i am looking into getting a new snake or lizard to fill my one of my vivs wich is 4ftx3ftx2ft i am thinking about carpet pythons or rainbow boas but my dad wants me to do more research into diferant species as he thinks ive only skimed the surface please could i have sugestions they must be handleable
wat do you all think dan?

·
Registered
380 Posts
carpet pythons are ideal, i have a trio of ij X coastels, bit nippy as hatchlings like everything else they will calm down.
i also have a colombian rainbow boa and they require a bit more care so id go with a jungle or diamond carpet

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well if you are getting a boa/python etc. they'll need a bigger viv than that when older.

Why not an adult cornsnake, Nige has a few nice ones for sale. That viv would last him a lifetime then.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Rainbow boa's can be a bit unpredictable, but most are ok.

Not sure about carpets (never kept them) but from what I've heard it's a similar story.

If you're open to suggestions, you could also house just about any large ratsnake species in that viv. E.g. black/yellow/everglades/grey, or taiwan beauty or several other asian species.

·
Registered
89 Posts
what experiance do you have with reptiles?
And you have to consider the size of a fully growen reptile and it's feeding.

If you have no previous experiance i suggest you start off with something small and managable to make sure this is the type of pet you are prepared to put your time into.

Your dad is right their are a vast number of snakes and reptiles out their and it is wise to do your research.

:)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi i have kept cornsnakes and geckos and monitors and tortus
dan wat are hognoses like are they tame enought to handle???

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
i thought about a hognose before i bought my first wee corn. the corns are lovely and become used to handling very quickly.

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
if you are looking for something which will be a bit of a challenge then i recommend a boa, but get a male as they only grow to around 8-9 ft, you viv that you have will be adequate to home one, but you will requira to home it in a box until its around 5ft.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry what type of boa??
dan

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
optical illusion said:
Well if you are getting a boa/python etc. they'll need a bigger viv than that when older.

Why not an adult cornsnake, Nige has a few nice ones for sale. That viv would last him a lifetime then.
you could have a boa in that with no prob, a 8 foot boa could get in that maybe bigger, pythons, well balls could go in that, 2 could go in that.
And a corn in a 4ftx3ftx2ft, a corn only needs 2ft-3ft long tank, and realy need the hight. In a tank that big you could have a load of corns. But i would go for the Carpet Python.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow thats really good lol i didnt think id be able to house anything that big lol
does anybody know about hognoses
dan
ps thanks for the great replys

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
crawl cay boa , lovely, amazing,nice looking and not very very exxpensive, go on classifieds some ppl are selling some, there very nice, and grow to about 5ft.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
okay pleaase any info on weather hoggies would be ok please
dajn

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Perfect size for a carpet python or male Common Boa. Could also put a Taiwan Beauty or Pine snake in there. Rainbow Boas are great once you got the environment sorted. Or a Malysian blood python... though maybe a bit more experience needed for that.

Hognoses are great little snakes, I don't have one but WILL be getting a couple this year. From what I know they are one of the best species in terms of handling and temperment, and not very big - 3ft is large for a female, with males smaller, only need a 2ft viv.

I've seen pics of your stack Daniel - very nice!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
chears if i were to split the viv into 2 could i house 2 adults and breed them do you think????
dan

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Hognoses are very handleable, they are normally very friendly even from young hatchlings and any aggression is pure bluff. These are very small snakes though so a 4x3x2ft viv is obscenely large for them and not at all suitable!

I like carpets myself for a viv that size

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Daniel said:
chears if i were to split the viv into 2 could i house 2 adults and breed them do you think????
dan
You could put a horizontal shelf and 3 vertical divides and keep 8 hoggies in there!!!

You not got any of the smaller vivs left?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
that is a piont i have 3 small vivs at the top :)
just wondering can they be kep together??
dan
oh and wats an average prics for the averidge hoggy#
dan

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
People keep em together, but there are risks, so if you can, house seperatly, the snakes don't need or enjoy each others company.

I've not seena Hoggie under 60 quid for the last few months I've been looking, I'm hoping the price will fall when there are more available in the summer.

PM 'Rossthedon', he's expecting a clutch this year and gave me a very reasonable price, delivered to my door.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts