Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '06 female hoggie hasn't eaten her last two feeds. Oh, she gave them a good hug alright, but she then unwrapped herself and lost interest.

She was off her food for a period last year as well. Is it common for hoggs to go off their food?

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I bought a gorgous 07 male from Hamm (The Germany reptile expo/show) and i got him back and let him settled in a then offerd him food and he wasn't really interested. I put it down to him not settling yet, so the next week i offerd different sizes, still no interest. So the next week tried again and brained and warmed up the food more then usual and still no real interest, so he went 4 weeks without eating no big deal i no but i thought i must be doing something wrong but then i rememberd that some Germans feed live and my Hogg is German bred so got a small live mouse and tried him onit and he killed and ate it straight away to my relief and i got some baby frozen quial and tried him the Saturday just gone (20th) and he ate :no1:

Sorry for the story lol but just wanted to include it anyway LOL but basicaly i spose you could try afew more things such as different size mice, different colours, maybe rats instead of mice, heating them up with a hairdryer or hot water, braining, tubing, putting the rodent in chicken soup or broth before feeding, scenting with gerbils, chicks, soiled rodent bedding etc but obviously not all at once lol. Usualy one of the things mentioned works, but in my case i didn't beat about the bush wrong or right i don't really care tbh, i was just eager to see if it was a husbandry mistake or similar, i didn't think there would be as these are very simple to keep and was proved right :D

If you like add me to MSN and we can chat further if you like, my addy is [email protected] or just drop me a PM (Private Message) : victory:

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Out of interest, if oyu had a nskae not feeding, would rubbing the food on my rabbit or guineapig help?

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Out of interest, if oyu had a nskae not feeding, would rubbing the food on my rabbit or guineapig help?
Possibly, but it would be better if you could buy one and let the prey defrost in the bag with the rodent and let all the juices mix so to speak, so that the refused rodents e.g mouses scent has been overtaken by the item used to scent e.g the rabbit or GP.

MY hogg cb07 is also off her food, but she just shed and poo'd
How long have you had her and where did you get her ?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
its breeding season, she may be reluctant as she wants to breed, it is possible for boas of this age if they have the matured muscle mass, but please dont breed her or place a male with her, she may even be off her food for months, but keep offering and like everyone else said try different routes e.g:
mouse,
rat,
chick (not the best but it may work)
animal colour,
size,
warmed,
brained...hope this helps mate,
JON>>

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
its breeding season, she may be reluctant as she wants to breed, it is possible for boas of this age if they have the matured muscle mass, but please dont breed her or place a male with her, she may even be off her food for months, but keep offering and like everyone else said try different routes e.g:
mouse,
rat,
chick (not the best but it may work)
animal colour,
size,
warmed,
brained...hope this helps mate,
JON>>
Did consider breeding, but thought she may be to young imo so didn't bother lol. But yes just try different things : victory:

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Did consider breeding, but thought she may be to young imo so didn't bother lol. But yes just try different things : victory:
nah females have produced at 2yrs in the states, its all to do with them buliding up adult muscle mass prematurely... but still even if they are not sexually mature they can still go into ''cycle'' readying them selves for the season....

what are the temps for day and night in your viv?
thanks JON>>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts