Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
They are not the easiest snakes to get at the best of times. You will have more luck in spring/summer as there will be some young around then.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
coast 2 coast have them for £100, you'd have to go down to collect though? try all the classifieds or just google H.I.B, usually works.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
coast 2 coast have them for £100, you'd have to go down to collect though? try all the classifieds or just google H.I.B, usually works.
hes in scotland thow. What about Reptile Taxi. And those hatchlings havn't hatched yet, and cant be sold till eating!

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
55 views and noone knows anything??lol..its for her birthday..she dont know that yet..:bash:
I'm one of the viewers that kept quiet.

When I bought my pair I was in the same situation. I wanted them badly, but I didn't seem to find them anywhere.

I ended up paying a dear price for my pair, but I've very happy with they way they are developing.

Just make sure you get the pictures before you buy, just to ensure they are pure hoggs. These days in age many are crosses with common boas :-|

·
*****istrator
11,351 Posts

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Out of curiosity , how can you tell if a boa is pure hoggie?
There are many ways, in saying that if you're unlucky you might end up buying one that isn't, but looks almost identical to pure hogg. But in this case, you haven't done too bad, because it means most people would find hard to tell.

Before I bought mine I researched a lot on the web, been to several websites to see pictures (specially WC specimens), read about their main characteristics, etc.

The best ways to tell are:

1) Origin: mine are pure, because I know their origin. They were bred from parents from a zoo. And the more I look at them the more I convince myself that they are pure, because they have all the visual patterns and colours of a pure hogg island boa

2) Colours: they have this milky sort of colour, with a lot of light pink to their bellies and the markings on the tail instead of being brown / red, are bright orange

Those who have hoggs will probably tell you that they are very hard to tell when they are about to shed. Because of this milky colouration, sometimes you only notice they are about to shed because of their behaviour, rather than for them getting more opaque, etc.

Also, they are smallers than other BCI's and BCC's (I know it doesn't help much if you're buying a very young one).

I've seen many pictures of hogg x common boa crosses, and normally the way you tell they are a cross is because of the colouration of the tail. I've never seen a cross which kept the very orange tails.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Stu,

These guys are offering hogg island boas for £ 175.00 each. Don't know if they arrange post, and they are in York. reptiles for sale, ReptileClassifieds.co.uk

This is the price I paid for mine.

Sounds a bit steep, but for this price chances are they are pure hoggs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts