Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my hoggie still ain feeding...i've raised the temp, ive brained the foods....this morining i atempted to force feed, but he jus spat it back out...
before muskin all up my arm, and bed...:lol2:

i'm goin 2 take it to my reptile shop to see if they can get it to feed, as he jus wont take to food...not eaten since before christmas...help

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Hey serpentkid, I have replied to your PM so hopefully that will be of some help. Hognoses (particularly males) commonly go off feed over the winter and can go months without feeding before deciding they are hungry again.
Unless he is losing condition I wouldnt be too concerned - you can try tubbing him with a pink or scenting as I described if you're particularly keen to get them to eat again.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Could try raising your temps a wee bit, and increasing UV output (I mean leaving it on longer) if you use UV in the same room.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Hey serpentkid, I have replied to your PM so hopefully that will be of some help. Hognoses (particularly males) commonly go off feed over the winter and can go months without feeding before deciding they are hungry again.
Unless he is losing condition I wouldnt be too concerned - you can try tubbing him with a pink or scenting as I described if you're particularly keen to get them to eat again.
I've read a bit on hoggies and have to say that I agree about them slowing down over winter.

Like Pendle said unless its losing weight I'd not worry to much.

If push comes to shove then prehaps you will have to consider live feeding if you are left with no other options.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
I would doubt you will ever need to live feed a hoggie. Try scenting with salmon. Some people say chicken works. As might shed lizard skin (or a live lizard if it doesn't mind).

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
My female fasted for 3 months over the brumation period - just since christmas isn't too much to worry about. I don't think assist-feeding would be a good idea - it'll stress the snake out too much. Being a male too, from what I've heard, they're too busy thinking about breeding season and females to think about food so much. But listen to Pendlehog, she knows all about the hoggies.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'd agree that you shouldn't worry yet. If he starts to loose weight then something may need to be done. Force feeding should be used as a last resort. It could prolong the period of non-feeding and would definatly be a backwards step in your case. Keep a close eye on his weight and if he starts loosing it, then maybe try something more drastic. In the mean time, as others have said, try scenting the mouse with fish. I've heard Roach and Trout work well. Both are readilly available at angling shops. My male went off his food for 3 weeks but just ate at the weekend. Seems its common for males to get horny and stop eating at this time of year.

Listen to Pendlehog, she is the hoggie queen. :notworthy:

Duzzie

·
Registered
137 Posts
:( just dont leave your snake like this too long,i lost my milksnake after 9weeks of not eating,he didnt loose any weight nor did he act any diffrent,i tryed everything.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have heard that rubbing the mouse with roach,not sure if i spelt that right but it a type of fish,then this works a treat.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Hi there,
You could try "Lizard Maker" or giving your hoggie larger mice (young rats might be worth trying).
I did also hear about "Amphibian Maker" but I think it's only available in America.
My female hoggy stopped eating in Sep and I got really worried. I contacted some knowledgeable people and they gave me some great advice. She's eats like a pig now!
Good Luck!!:smile:

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Opheodrys - when did your hoggie start eating normally again? Since mine started fasting in October it was only 3 weeks ago she decided to have a couple of mice and has been sporadic ever since. I offered her one today and she didn't want to know - I'm going to try offering in the morning instead of in the afternoon and see if that makes a difference ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts