Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, planning on getting a could of western hoggies in the not to distant future. Could anyone give me so ideas for viv size's for both male and females, i seem to be getting conflucting info. I have a rougth idea in mind but thought i would ask you lot as well and see what size viv's you all use.

jay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Im fairly sure they only reach 80cm, but not 100% sure. I would also reccomend that you do not let your self get bitten as they are rear fanged venemous, the venom is designed for frogs but in some people it can cause the bite area to swell quite badly.

Ben
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are NOT venomous. They are however rear fanged, there is no venom duct joining the fang to the gland, therefore no venom. However, they are slightly toxic, due to their saliva. therefore if they bite and chew the saliva can cause swelling etc, though not being dangerous unless u are allergic. Well this is want current papers say anyway.


Jay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,860 Posts
A 24"x18" viv will be sufficient for an adult and they do not climb very high so 15" or 18" high will be enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A 24"x18" viv will be sufficient for an adult and they do not climb very high so 15" or 18" high will be enough.
that want i want cheers, would that be the same for a female as i've been told they get longer??

jay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,313 Posts
They are NOT venomous. They are however rear fanged, there is no venom duct joining the fang to the gland, therefore no venom. However, they are slightly toxic, due to their saliva. therefore if they bite and chew the saliva can cause swelling etc, though not being dangerous unless u are allergic. Well this is want current papers say anyway.


Jay
Hi all,

Spikebrit they are midly venomous and people do react to bites but they have to be chewed on for a while.

They do not have venom glands it is their saliva that is midly venomous which gets into your system by their rear fangs after chewing for a while.

Venom has to be injected, poison has to be swallowed.

There is also anaphlactic shock if you are allergic to the venom.

slither61 :snake::snake::snake::snake:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
can i just say that although there is all this talk about them biting. it's actually quite rare and if your watching what your doing you'd have a good chance of getting out the way before they have chance to latch on!
mine is so cute and docile, when i got him i thought he was trying to bite me all the time but he wasn't he was just trying to burrow in my hand as he does on everything. :2thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,244 Posts
Hi all,

Spikebrit they are midly venomous and people do react to bites but they have to be chewed on for a while.

They do not have venom glands it is their saliva that is midly venomous which gets into your system by their rear fangs after chewing for a while.

Venom has to be injected, poison has to be swallowed.

There is also anaphlactic shock if you are allergic to the venom.

slither61 :snake::snake::snake::snake:
You can't have vemon free flowing in the mouth.
I think you'll find researchers suggest that it is bacteria in the mouth though more so around the rear fangs that is to blame for any toxic-reaction. It's not very well documented though.

Also, poison doesn't have to be swallowed. Poison in food is the traditional means however.

Also as mentioned they rarely make an attempt to bite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
can we not just say that there is debate about the venom, but it is seldom harmful unless you have an allergy, a hoggy bite is rare so the chance of being bitten and having an allergy to it is unlikely but not impossible, apart from that they're great and i wish people would sometimes mention the good things about hoggies not just the whole biting and venom issue!
:2thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
can we not just say that there is debate about the venom, but it is seldom harmful unless you have an allergy, a hoggy bite is rare so the chance of being bitten and having an allergy to it is unlikely but not impossible, apart from that they're great and i wish people would sometimes mention the good things about hoggies not just the whole biting and venom issue!
:2thumb:
agreed, they are georgious animals, and since i've started reading about them i have been really taken by them. So i think im bypassing the whole corn phase and going to try and get some western hoggies. Thoughi have recently been tampted by eastern hoggies.

Jay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,890 Posts
Is it more accurate to say that venom is actively introduced (making hognoses, cobras and gila monsters venomous) but poison is passively introduced (making deadly nightshade and dart frogs poisonous) ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
agreed, they are georgious animals, and since i've started reading about them i have been really taken by them. So i think im bypassing the whole corn phase and going to try and get some western hoggies. Thoughi have recently been tampted by eastern hoggies.

Jay
Eastern Hoggies are beautiful little snakes and some of them are extremely colourful but they are much more difficult than Westerns to sustain on a rodent diet and many of them will insist of frogs and toads as their food source.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,248 Posts
just thought id say, i have a little Western Hognose and hes an absolute dream! apart from being skittish when i first got him i have had no problems with him. hes never attempted to bite and has only puffed up once when i gave him a fright.
he eats like a pig and is an absolute joy to own. i wouldnt be without him now! :2thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,165 Posts
I certainly wouldnt say "hognoses are NOT venomous" I dont beleive it has been proven eiter way yet. Much more research needs to be done on colubrid venom. All sorts of colubrids have shown traces of venom even certain species of garter snake! Everyone has their own theory on hognose 'venom', some say it is a product of the hognoses diet in the wild and so dosnt apply in captivity... who knows. I personaly would classify them as Rear fanged, mildly venomous but not dangerous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,858 Posts
They are NOT venomous. They are however rear fanged, there is no venom duct joining the fang to the gland, therefore no venom. However, they are slightly toxic, due to their saliva. therefore if they bite and chew the saliva can cause swelling etc, though not being dangerous unless u are allergic. Well this is want current papers say anyway.


Jay
well mine grabbed my thumb and me being me, i stood and watched him chew on it. his rear fangs reached thumb, and i was on the sofa with my duvet talking crap for a week. it can make you really not well, but as you say, me being allergic to it didnt help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,313 Posts
You can't have vemon free flowing in the mouth.
I think you'll find researchers suggest that it is bacteria in the mouth though more so around the rear fangs that is to blame for any toxic-reaction. It's not very well documented though.

Also, poison doesn't have to be swallowed. Poison in food is the traditional means however.

Also as mentioned they rarely make an attempt to bite.
HI all,

You have to swallow food, It's like wadeing through mud with hoggies and their venom/saliva, one lot say one thing and another say something else.

There needs to be a proper study on them.

slither61 :snake::snake::snake::snake:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I certainly wouldnt say "hognoses are NOT venomous" I dont beleive it has been proven eiter way yet. Much more research needs to be done on colubrid venom. All sorts of colubrids have shown traces of venom even certain species of garter snake! Everyone has their own theory on hognose 'venom', some say it is a product of the hognoses diet in the wild and so dosnt apply in captivity... who knows. I personaly would classify them as Rear fanged, mildly venomous but not dangerous.
I said the same sort of thing but replaced venom with toxicity rath as i didnt think venom was really the right word (perosnal opinon) plus if i said venom to my OH i'd be banned from having one, he worries too much.

jay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well mine grabbed my thumb and me being me, i stood and watched him chew on it. his rear fangs reached thumb, and i was on the sofa with my duvet talking crap for a week. it can make you really not well, but as you say, me being allergic to it didnt help.
I'd prob do the same thing tbh lol, i'll be like oh looks its biting isnt that cute lol. But yer that sounds scary lol. Doesnt make me not want one tho. There too geogious a snake.

Jay
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top