Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have managed to aquire 7 hognose this year a trio of het albino's and the rest normals thing is a couple of 'normals' are odd in their colouration - either that or my eyes are getting worse lol. 1 male was sold as a Dusky but having done some research I've since found that this subspeices is no believed to have been incorrectly labeled so is it it a morph or just a nicely coloured normal?

First is my male and 2 female het albino's

The female sold as normal with a dusky male who is as bright as the male, can't take a photo of him at the min due to him being in blue.

All of these are very light/red sided even green in some parts compared to my normals.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
You want me to be honest???? Nah.....i won`t, i`d get shot!:Na_Na_Na_Na:
Not a fan of hognose, but i`ll say something nice.

Lovely snakes:lol2:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i have 2.2 hoggies and on of the males is a lot darker than the other 3 i think its just like anything else no two will be identical in colouration

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have managed to aquire 7 hognose this year a trio of het albino's and the rest normals thing is a couple of 'normals' are odd in their colouration - either that or my eyes are getting worse lol. 1 male was sold as a Dusky but having done some research I've since found that this subspeices is no believed to have been incorrectly labeled so is it it a morph or just a nicely coloured normal?

First is my male and 2 female het albino's

The female sold as normal with a dusky male who is as bright as the male, can't take a photo of him at the min due to him being in blue.

All of these are very light/red sided even green in some parts compared to my normals.
I have just picked up an 06 female hoggie which is very close to the top one in your second picture - maybe a little lighter in colour. I think they vary widely in shades.

Mark

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The top one is a 100% het albino which according to the research I've done and chatting with a few friends in the states shows he's het albino by the colouration along the lowerside of the body ie that reddish hue to their markings. One of the state side breeders I contacted said even if he knows from the parents that an animal is 100% het albino he won't sell it as such without that distinct colouration - this is what got me started on the differences with the Dusty/Dusky and their incorrect labelling as a subspeices.

The last one is one of these one of the Dusky aka Heterodon N gloydi which is considered to be part of the normal westerns but she is very very light picture just doesn't show it too well her head markings are green in places.

Must admit I find it very interesting that some of the breeders overseas differentiate the normals into light and dark phases with a liking towards using the lighter animals for breeding to see if it has any affect on the progeny or encourages a new morph to show. (the dusky hognose

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
I keep an albino hoggy. She is 3years old!
quite good looking.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Hoggies are very variable in terms of colour and pattern. I have a very red male (still a normal) and a very dull, what I call granite, male.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts