Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm looking for some help/advice; my adult female Western Hognose went off food roughly 2 months ago, I know Hogs can and will occasionally go off food for lengths of time but she has never done so, thus it came as quite a shock, she's lost roughly 60 grams and has been either rejecting her feed or regurging, she used to take multiple small-medium mice each feed with no problem, but now cannot even face 2 fuzzies!
She is in a large faunarium, on about 2 inches of eco-earth, temperature in the hot spot is roughly 29-31 degrees C and humidity is at roughly 45% due to the substrate.
Please help, it would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
33,049 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm looking for some help/advice; my adult female Western Hognose went off food roughly 2 months ago, I know Hogs can and will occasionally go off food for lengths of time but she has never done so, thus it came as quite a shock, she's lost roughly 60 grams and has been either rejecting her feed or regurging, she used to take multiple small-medium mice each feed with no problem, but now cannot even face 2 fuzzies!
She is in a large faunarium, on about 2 inches of eco-earth, temperature in the hot spot is roughly 29-31 degrees C and humidity is at roughly 45% due to the substrate.
Please help, it would be much appreciated!
stop feeding her for at least 2 weeks, if she's regurging. is the eco-earth dried out? western hogs are from arid areas.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, yeah that's what I've been doing, I leave her for 2 weeks and and then try and so far she's either flat out rejected or taken the fuzzier and regurged them thus meaning another 2 week wait.
She's on one part moist to 2 two parts dried (I find it helps with both shedding and maintaining their burrows) the other hogs are on the same proportions and are feeding correctly.

·
Registered
750 Posts
stop feeding her for at least 2 weeks, if she's regurging. is the eco-earth dried out? western hogs are from arid areas.
Hogs definitely like a moist hide. There was a long (and heated) thread about this not long ago. Since the introduction of a moist Coco fiber hide, my Hog is in it more often than not and is eating much better.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just got my first hog 2 weeks ago so I'm pretty new to them but I was told they like it quite hot down their hot end - 32/34 ish so that's what i've got in my set up.

good point about the moist hide though as I haven't got one at the mo so I will set one up for him later.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Reactions: BreezeAM

·
Registered
330 Posts
How many times has she regurged? Your hot spot is too cold (I keep mine at 33-35 degrees), but I would be taking her to the vet if she's regurged multiple times.

Also, a large faunarium is way too small for an adult female! How big is she?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shes regurged twice and shes too small for a 2 foot, shes not very large! :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts