Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my young western hognose since 25th of January and he/she currently lives in a large faunarium and has been eating fine until the last 3 attempts.

I try and feed him twice a week which what is recommended by breeders of hoggies but last 3 attempts I give him a pinkie, he takes it and then 10 minutes after, drops it and then won't eat it, even if I leave it in over night. Last time he shed was on the 23rd february.

Anyone elses done this before?

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
How old is your hoggie? As they usually hatch late summer, it should be on much bigger food than a pink if it was hatched then.

You say it's in a faunarium. They don't hold heat. How exactly are you heating it, and what are the air temperatures?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
How old is your hoggie? As they usually hatch late summer, it should be on much bigger food than a pink if it was hatched then.

You say it's in a faunarium. They don't hold heat. How exactly are you heating it, and what are the air temperatures?
He's been eating fine in his faunarium until last 3 attempts so know its nothing to do with his faunarium. Used them for years without issues. Room he's in stays around 75F and be's being heated with a heatmat with a thermostat and keep it at 85F and test with a temp gun.

Not sure of his age but he's not even a foot long yet, tried a food item bigger than a pinkie and he struggled and gave up.

Picture of him/her:

Here is food chart I've been keeping track:

·
Premium Member
16,488 Posts
your temperatures are nowhere near correct, interestingly according to your chart he has eaten fewer times than he has left

Reactions: Paul F

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think you are keeping it way too cold. I had issues with mine feeding when I kept it at lower temps. I keep mine with a hotspot of 35 C (95F) and never had an eating issue since. I also thought they were an arid species and kept it in very dry conditions. I did a lot more research and found that was not true and since adding a moist coconut / ecoearth earth he is often in it and eats a treat.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
your temperatures are nowhere near correct, interestingly according to your chart he has eaten fewer times than he has left
If you read chart correctly, I did put in RED he shed, reason why he refused on the 17th and 21st.

Anyway haven't changed his temp and he's eating fine. Poster below me, 95F is too hot in my opinion.

·
Registered
750 Posts
35C might be a touch on the hot side. I just used my temp gun and it is actually nearer 33.5C. Either way I think 29.4C is too low for a Hognose. Look up GreggM on this forum. He may wind a lot of people up but he knows his stuff on Hognoses. See what info he has put up about Hognoses over the years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts