Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i no they need to live in relativly dry settings but how would you help them along with shedding like you could bath a royal but what could you do with a hoggy . also would it be ok to put her in a box with damp sphagmoss for an hour or two or is that dangerous. only asking cos she hasnt shed since iv had her.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
If you leave a moist hide (box of sphagnum moss) in the tank they will use it if neccessary - I find mine dont actually use it often, even when shedding. If their waterbowl is large enough they will very occassionally soak, but again mine very rarely bother.

Dit spray them or soak them, a moist hide and/or decent sized waterbowl is fine.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont even no if she is going into shed but looks awfully smooth and dull but still eating and is as fiesty as usual eyes havent changed yet though.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Yep as above a good sized water bowl that they can soak in and a moist hide as well as you current one will do the trick... You'll know if it is going to have any problems shedding after its first shed. Chances are youu be fine.

Also a good indicator I find to a snake shedding is the way the skin reflects in the light, especially in dark snakes. You find the skin goes like oil in water and reflects a rainbow of colours. The clouded eyes are always about 2-3 days before it sheds normally, and all mine seam to get out of that just before they shed! I think mine are weird tho!

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
The belly will go pinkish too.

My hognose shed right in front of my eyes last time - it was really cool to watch that old skin sliding off her - just like someone peeling off a stocking LOL

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Not sure about the hoggys or royals but when my guys shed i just make sure they have fresh water (which i do anyway lol) and i spray the viv twice a day to make sure its humid for em if i can all though they dont like it i spray them directly and i havnt had a incomplete shed yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts