Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, not sure if anyone will be able to help and shed any light on this. I fed both my snakes the weekend (Corn Snake, Seb & Hognose, Spaghet), Seb took his mouse fine as usual but Spag has always been a fussy one so he took a while as usual, trying to eat it from the feet the first time and giving up. Eventually I noticed he had taken the mouse (photo attached as I sent it to my boyfriend to tell him I had just turned round and noticed his lump and mouse was gone). This was Saturday around 3pm then I went out & stayed at a friends, when my boyfriend woke up on Sunday he could smell something bad and checked on Spag to find him dead under the hide you can see in the photo, on the hot side of the enclosure. He still had the mouse lump in his lower bottom half and this portion of him had turned black. I checked the heat and humidity and it was fine, nothing had malfunctioned.

Seb is still fine even though he had a mouse from the same batch, has anything like this happened to anyone before? He was only around 4 years old, I was expecting to have him for many more years :(

Attachments

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Sorry for your loss. :cry:

I had the same thing happen to me about 4 years ago with a juvenile Hoggie. The small mouse I gave him was on the large side (for a small mouse) but he ate it. Next morning I found him dead. I'm pretty sure it was my fault with the size of the prey.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I had the same thing happen to me about 4 years ago with a juvenile Hoggie. The small mouse I gave him was on the large side (for a small mouse) but he ate it. Next morning I found him dead. I'm pretty sure it was my fault with the size of the prey.

oh no! sorry you had to go through this as well :( this one was on the bigger side too but he's had the same size before, I thought if it was that then we would have seen it rip through him like I've seen online before.. but maybe not :(

·
Registered
981 Posts
How was the food defrosted? Had it ever been refrozen?

Also have you treated your enclosure or the room with any chemicals recently?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How was the food defrosted? Had it ever been refrozen?

Also have you treated your enclosure or the room with any chemicals recently?
Hi, we defrosted it the same as we usually do, by putting the mouse (in a bag) in some warm water for 15/20 mins, it hadn't ever been refrozen to my knowledge.

No chemicals have been around him either, he was rehoused into this enclosure in May and as he doesn't really eat (and poop) that often, he's only had spot cleans since then

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ever treated the room or enclosure for pests? Like mites or anything like that?

Nooo I wouldn't dare! We have Tarantulas too, I won't even spray air freshener/deodorant anywhere but the bathroom and that's only because it's two doors away from anything creepy and crawly 🙈

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Sorry to hear you lost the snake. I tend to defrost rodents at room temperature over a period of hours, typically 8 - 10 hours for mice / small rats, or for big items I give them 18 hrs or so to defrost by taking them out the freezer just before bedtime the day before feeding.

·
Registered
10,496 Posts
If a

If a prey item is too big a snake will regurgitate it. It won't drop dead the next day.
It's possible that the mouse was off. Where did you buy them from?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
If a

If a prey item is too big a snake will regurgitate it. It won't drop dead the next day.
It's possible that the mouse was off. Where did you buy them from?
My usual supplier at the time Ian. There was no visible evidence there was anything wrong with the mouse and he had eaten from the same batch the week before.

·
Registered
13,259 Posts
What kind of substrate in the viv ?

Could it have swallowed some with it’s meal !?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 11 of 11 Posts