Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone

Well my mum has been thinking about getting a snake for a wee while now. I know theres been alot of posting about everyones first snake recently but one snake that didnt really appear was the hognose and this is what she'd really like. Im just wondering if yous thought these would be a good snake for a beginner. She's also been looking at corns but she'd prefer one of these. So what do yous think :lol:

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Western hognoses are wonderful beginners snakes! They have a very good temperament and rarely bite and are also small enough to handle easily. They can be kept like more north american colubrids (similarly to corns) and are forgiving of a beginners mistakes. The odd one can be difficult to feed but as long as you make sure the one you buy is feeding well already you should have no problems.
Hogs are onle of my favourite snakes and I would recommend them wholeheartedly!

I have writtena caresheet for thme which can be found here: http://www.freewebs.com/kiboreptiles/hognosecaresheet.htm

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm with Hannah with this one. Western hognose 's are the best. So cute and great feeders. Fantastic 1st time snakes. Cant beat them really. Go for it and buy them.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great i was hoping you guys would say that :lol:
So how much should i be expecting to pay for one :lol:

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks for that and the link for the caresheet :lol:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Groovy chick.... try Border Exotics in Galashiels in the Borders. Ran by Daniel Johnstone (top guy) and he has western hognoses adults and hatchlings. He is able to negotiate prices, etc. Great reptile shop with fantastic advice etc.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oohh thanks for that. Ill give them a phone tomorrow :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
392 Posts
The number is ... 01896 754777
BORDER EXOTICS
49 HIGH STREET
GALASHIELS

DANIEL JOHNSTONE (Dan)
Herpotologist.

Suppliers of exotic animals, Snakes, Lizards, Spiders, etc.
Suppliers of all dead and live foods.
Vivariums, heating and lighting.

Closed Sunday and Mondays.
Times 10.30 -12.00 13.00 - 17.00

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
£75-£90? They are £150 in the shop near me :shock:

·
Registered
399 Posts
We've got a lovely couple of hogs in just now feeding great and friendly,if you're interested then pm me and will let you know prices etc.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
you could try critterz in kinghorn in fife that is pretty near you also or maybe r.d.rintoul in bathgate or maybe aquacadabra in edinburgh just a few suggestions :wink:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Don't maen to tread on anyones toes but what is wrong wi the shop in Edinburgh?Are we that bad that nobody wants to recommend us or does nobody know about us?

·
Registered
399 Posts
We've going for about 15yrs and i hope we are one of the better shops around.The feedback we get is we have decent prices and good healthy animals and honest staff who do actually care for the animals.God that was a shameless plug! Normally we are heard about through word of mouth but i just started using this forum and i'm finding it really useful.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
have not used the shop personally yet myself but have heard good things about it !! will see you through there soon.....have spoken to some of the staffon telephone and very helpfull :wink:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
no problems becky hopefully might get to meet you this week as i need to get rats for my new boy (guy only had one left when i bought him) and he ate that with great gusto on friday night :lol: :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Glad he eating as sometimes they can be wee pigs.Hopefully i will see you,it would be nice to put a face to the name.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts