Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my b'day in feb and looking to get some goodies for fluffy then, but in the mean time now he's in the 24" viv I'd like him to have something to clamber over other than his hides.

I have loads of bits n bobs hanging about (one large thick cardboard tube that can be cut/drilled etc)

Can anyone post pics of things they have made for their reptiles ?

I would try some wood from our parks but no idea on what the trees are

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
We built a climbing structure for our monkey tails out of dead branches from our local woodland - they cleared a small section of it several months ago, and the dead branches are still scattered about. As they are completely dried out and smooth, they have no harmful bark or sap, and so are safe once they have been scrubbed/soaked in a diluted bleach solution and soaked again in fresh water to clean them.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
As mentioned above most brances are okay to use as long as they are completely dry.

I'd strip them of all bark. Dry them. Soak them in a weak bleach solution. Rinse. Soak in water. Rinse. Then bake in oven (say 150 degrees F for an hour or two) to completely dry out.

Just be weary of any kind of pine and fur tree branches as these can be very sappy and is toxic to your snake. I'd avoid these even if they look dry.

If youre unsire of whether its pine or not then don't use it.

Another option is to use the big pieces of bamboo from the garden centre. I've seen pieces around an inch accross in some places. Cut a few of these up and tie together with rope or cable ties.

·
Registered
434 Posts
i made a little climbing thing out of drumsticks for my wd before!!!
you could get 2"x2" lengths of wood from b&q's sand the edges down and sterilize them i suppose.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
otb2 said:
you could get 2"x2" lengths of wood from b&q's sand the edges down and sterilize them i suppose.

Mmmmmmmmm I love bernard matthews. lol

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I use different sections of curtain poles for them to climb on and hang around, they come in different lengths, colours etc and cheap, plust they dont look too out of place.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
I have a garden trellis in one of my vivs but its not the flat wood type its made of bamboo sticks so its ideal for my anoles to jump around on :D

·
Registered
434 Posts
carl24bpool said:
otb2 said:

Mmmmmmmmm I love bernard matthews. lol
lol very funny!! i play the drums lol. dont think thai would like chicken drumsticks lol :lol:

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
the-tick said:
I have loads of bits n bobs hanging about (one large thick cardboard tube that can be cut/drilled etc)

Can anyone post pics of things they have made for their reptiles ?
Something like this mate?

Just cut some angled slots into the tube so it slides onto the shelf.

These tubes are great for hides too.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cool thanks for all the replies (not been online for 2 weeks so that why I've not replied so far)

i've been raiding the park for branches but seem to pick up the wrong type or after soaking and risning and drying they stink

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
massive DOH I found a load of bamboo sticks in the bottom of a cupboard and niw have made a ladder for fluffy (yeah I know snakes and ladders but I didn't realise until today)

I'll do some pics this week (once the floor contractors are gone)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

1 - 14 of 14 Posts