Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening All

Today i got a tub of hoppers for my beardie. I've never fed these before and am wondering how much he can have. Should i let him have as many as he wants or should they be fed as a treat.

Cheers :lol:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
they are not as nutritious as gut loaded crickets and so should be fed as extras to normal crickets..you can increase their nutritional value by feeding them cabbage (not lettuce as it is 90% water).
they provide a bit of excitement though which is always good to see...feed maybe 2/3 a day.... :)

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks for that :lol: Funny looking little things Hoppers :lol:

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
there not funny if your viv is in your bedroom an every time you open the viv one pops out.then at 4am they land on your pillow.puts me off em for a good while.my 9month old jack russell enjoyed catching them though :roll2:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
ive fed hoppers before always enjoy hearing them at night jumping then hitting the side of the cage with a little tap. then a big thud comes as my gecko gos head first into the cage with a chasing them...

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
:rotfl: i know geckos aint the most intelegent of animals are they?mine female trys to crawl up the viv glass from time to time and its funny as she looks like shes doing a little dance lol

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My god id die if a hopper landed on my pillow :shock: Im scared of the crickets :oops: :lol:

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
i know crickets are sooo gross.i dont give them mine as i dont like picking them out.they are cricketless leos :( but they get loads of hoppers,meal worms,the odd wax worm and sometimes butter worms although they aint that keen on those. still as long as i dont wake up next to a hopper again thats ok.i have enough with the husband :roll2:

·
Registered
52,162 Posts
yup, think it a medium locust but not 1 of the realy big onse but it might be all locusts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
nah a hopper is a grass hopper a locust is different al together an much bigger

·
Registered
52,162 Posts
sorry there lol, well atleast on here you know that if you are wrong someone will correct you :D

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
actually bobby you were right a hopper is the juvenile form of the migratory locust....called hoppers cos they are wingless and funily enough hop! :)

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
u wanna try waking up to find an adult locust on ya face :? it aint funny!!! as far as feeding them to beardies i feed my locusts with veg and i even give them calcium u know wat they say " u are wat u eat"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts