Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to turn my horizontal vivarium vertical for my Yemen. But I am wondering how to get the sliding doors (which will just slide down to the bottom) to work. Any help is appreciated!
:welcome:

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
you'd have to replace the glass and move the runners. by the time you've fannied about and work out how much you've spent, you'd wish you just sold it and bought a new one

·
Registered
723 Posts
I'm pretty sure the locks they have on reptile vivs in places such as pets at home will stop the tank doors from sliding? Although it will depend on the size and weight of the glass whether it would be stable or not...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'm pretty sure the locks they have on reptile vivs in places such as pets at home will stop the tank doors from sliding? Although it will depend on the size and weight of the glass whether it would be stable or not...
i wouldnt trust it.. unless you can get hold of glass for cheap and move the runners i wouldnt bother

·
Registered
723 Posts
i wouldnt trust it.. unless you can get hold of glass for cheap and move the runners i wouldnt bother
That would be the better option... The lock idea would only work very rather small tanks with light glass, not for ones of a chameleons size

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Another problem is that the design of the runners allows the glass to be lifted out, if you turn it upright the glass will shift around and fall out. To turn it vertical you'll need two new pieces of glass, then to remove the plinths, cut them down to fit at the bottom and top, then cut the runners to fit and put the new glass in. You'd possibly need to move some vents too.

Dave

·
Registered
865 Posts
bit of a late reply but, Could you not add a centre brace across the front and size it in such a way that the original 2 glass fronts can be split into 4, add some new channel to the top and bottom of the brace and job done?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
bit of a late reply but, Could you not add a centre brace across the front and size it in such a way that the original 2 glass fronts can be split into 4, add some new channel to the top and bottom of the brace and job done?
You could, except that most vivs have toughened glass, so you can't just cut the doors down.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts