Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Please could someone give me a little advice. I have two beautiful horned frogs (approx 1 1/2 to 2"). I have had conflicting advice about needing a UVB bulb and vitamin D3 supplementation.

Do i need to have the UVB 0.5 lamp if i am already supplementing their diet with a nutrobal and vitamin D3 powder mix?

I don't want them to get MBD from too little or too much UVB.

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
personaly id recomend a 5.0 uvb.nutrobal is vitamin and D3 but i would use a straight calcium too. been greedy/a mouth on legs you find rapid growth so calcium is needed lots and essensial for normal growth and to prevent MBD. Scalee.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
ok, theres much contradicting advice about MBD and frogs/toads.
If either of your horned frogs are albino then DONT use UV you could kill them.
very good supplementation is essential whether or not you decide to use UV with them.
since i first became a frog keeper ive heard all sorts of stories of horned frogs with deformed back legs... and now ive first hand experience of it.
these frogs do need a good calcium intake along with D3 to ensure they do not get MBD, even a mild case of MBD can deform their legs to the point of no return.
UV can and will help MBD cases, but it would be dangerous with an albino.
My albino is a rescue case and one of his legs is severely deformed, he has little use of it. he still manages to hunt and although it was touch and go for a while. hes doing very well. His leg will never be normal though.
With a frog of normal colouration, the UV will not hurt should you decide thats what you want to try.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Pliskens Chains. One of them is albino (C.cranwelli), so am very pleased with your reply! As I was going to buy a UV lamp! I would have felt awful if i'd killed with lack of knowledge!! I'll stick to the nutrobal i've been giving the hungry little beggars!

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts