Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a breeder and owner of three Horsefield tortoise's a few days ago, and they said that I only need to have the basking/uv bulb on when the tortoise's are awake and that her's go to sleep around 3pm. I was wondering if it's normal for them to sleep so early and if I need any additional heat source, as sometimes our heating can click off and temperature's can drop to around 10' degrees during the day in winter. She then said if they got cold they would go under the lamp or around it. When the heating is on it's around 17/18 degrees. But we can adjust the heat of the radiator's in the room my two will be living in. I'm getting them around Christmas time. I'm just so paranoid and want them to be living happy and healthy.

Thanks! All responses will be greatly appreciated! x

·
Registered
530 Posts
3:00 is defently to early, tortoise do need extra heat provided by a heat bulb or ceramic bulb, the basking spot should be around 115F to 130F

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
I was talking to a breeder and owner of three Horsefield tortoise's a few days ago, and they said that I only need to have the basking/uv bulb on when the tortoise's are awake and that her's go to sleep around 3pm. I was wondering if it's normal for them to sleep so early and if I need any additional heat source, as sometimes our heating can click off and temperature's can drop to around 10' degrees during the day in winter. She then said if they got cold they would go under the lamp or around it. When the heating is on it's around 17/18 degrees. But we can adjust the heat of the radiator's in the room my two will be living in. I'm getting them around Christmas time. I'm just so paranoid and want them to be living happy and healthy.

This time of the year, when light levels are low, my tortoises are usually tucked up in bed by 3-4pm. I also turn the light/heat off then, as no point in wasting electricity. But if your tortoises are still awake then, then obviously you leave the heat/light on.
Tortoises do need temps of at least 32c when they are up and basking though.
Tortoises rise when the light levels increase and heat is around. My light/heat is usually on from 7clock until 3-4 oclock at the moment. This is perfectly normal for my tortoises.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts

As you are thinking, it does depend on the background heat as to whether you could leave the heat off. You haven't got yours yet so it needs to be set up for being on 12 hours a day, or your tortoise will sleep more. The longer the heat is on the quicker they will digest their food, you have to replicate summer temps and light, otherwise your tortoise will go to sleep in the cold end.

·
Registered
530 Posts
115f is near enough 40c

130f is 50c

As has been said 32c is recommended, which is about 90f!
mine fluctuate a fair bit one day could be 90 the next 130 but as its a tortoise table I dont think it really matters as the cold end is room temp they can thermoregulate fine

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
the room temp really needs to be around 20c through the day that temp will then give you your cooler end temp in the table, I always say if your house isn't heated through the day because you're at work or similar then put your tort in the smallest or warmest room where you can have the heating on. Its the same at night although the tort will be fine with a drop in temps the colder the room the longer it takes for the tort to wake in the mornings and I beleive the more likely the tort is to think its time to hibernate. In the wild although they do get temp drops at night I doubt it gets very cold in the summer and that's what you are trying to 'fool' your tort into thinking, that its still summer. I don't keep Horsfeilds but my tort room doesn't go below 20c through the day and only a bit lower at night, I have nice active hatchlings who are often awake and ready for their bath before me, they are eating well and active untill at least 5pm before going to bed, keeping them warm and in a well lit room does work well. I'll also say that they sleep well through the night, don't dig down but pile up under their bark, so although its said they need a cold night to sleep they will also sleep well in a warmer room.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
I see you live in Scotland, it would be advisable to ask a fellow member who also lives in Scotland what they do. As I live in the opposite end of the country, my tortoises will be kept differently to yours. As the temps in the South East will be a lot different to yours.
You could ask redfoot marg who also lives up in Scotland, who is a member on here:0)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for you're help you guys! It means a lot. During the winter months that we have the tort's the 'cold' end of the table will be 20 degrees, we will have them in the warmest room with the heating set as 20degrees in there. There basking/uv light is 31 degrees so I'm hoping that's ok? As I said again thanks so much you guys, especially with the early sleeping, the breeders torts must only sleep so early with the colder months coming in and the nights drawing in, it's getting dark around 6.30pm here in Scotland! I'm super excited though, 57 days till I get my babies! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts