Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my horsefield tortiose has not been eating properly for a good couple of weeks and has only eaten dandelion leaves. i have done some research and have found that it is not uncommon for a tortiose to only eat none rooted plants. i have also read in the past that they can become kind of addicted to dandelions and will refuse to eat anything else. I am wondering if anybody has any knowlege that could help get chopper eating again. also could anybody name a few none rooting plants as the only ones i know are dandelions and rocket salad.
thanks for your help in advance :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I read something on tortoisetable.com about rocket being a palnt best fed in moderation. My lot go mad ofr dandelions as well..but they are best fed in moderation

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
my horsefield tortiose has not been eating properly for a good couple of weeks and has only eaten dandelion leaves. i have done some research and have found that it is not uncommon for a tortiose to only eat none rooted plants. i have also read in the past that they can become kind of addicted to dandelions and will refuse to eat anything else. I am wondering if anybody has any knowlege that could help get chopper eating again. also could anybody name a few none rooting plants as the only ones i know are dandelions and rocket salad.
What do you mean by"non rooting plants", never heard of this? All plants have roots, or they would die!
There are still plenty of other weeds about if you look in the garden. Other than that, I guess you are feeding Florette bagged leaves? I would suspect your tortoise is mainly wanting to hibernate and that is why it's not eating much at the moment. I would suggest you up the heat and lighting.

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
You dont say how old your horsfield is?
All horsfields and med tortoises this time of the year, slow down everything including eating. As they should be in hibernation. The days are getting shorter and shorter, so light levels are much lower. This indicates to tortoises they sleep more and eat less.

I agree with JL I have never heard of rootless foods for tortoises or humans if it comes to that:0)
If a tortoise refuses to eat food, then there are several reasons.
1. Hibernation time as said above.
2. A fussy eater, only eating what they choose, and the keeper will only feed this as they see the tortoise eating. If they dont eat keepers think tortoises will die. Rubbish, we all over feed our tortoises in captivity, but tortoises are sly little devils, and will hold out for what they want, rather than what is good for them:0)
3. Illness, such as worms, RNS.
4. Too cold.
Tortoises should have a mixed diet, of different weeds, which are still around, but you do have to look for them.
www.tortoises.net for a great list of suitable plants with pictures.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I agree with what PP has said. I find my torts are all hungrier after a nice long soak so you could try feeding then & also you could try chopping his food (only for a while) things he eats now & things you would like him to eat. Only give him a few shreads of what he doesnt like to begin with, it will be disguised, so he wont know & gradually add more to tip the balance. I had one that ate nothing but dandelions & this is how I got her to accept other foods, they can be very stubborn, you have to persavere.

·
Registered
42 Posts
just found this thread and i too have a fussy horsefield, she is only eating romaine lettuce and dandelions (which i have only been giving in moderation) i am starting to put other bits down for her but she sniffs it and wonders off, seeing purplepixies comment about her not starving has put my mind at ease a little

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
They are all slowing down now. Has your tortoise hibernated before? If you are not going to because you have not had it long, then you need to have higher temps over the table to try and keep it awake, especially as most of us at the moment, would only be having the CH on in the evening if cold.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
just found this thread and i too have a fussy horsefield, she is only eating romaine lettuce and dandelions (which i have only been giving in moderation) i am starting to put other bits down for her but she sniffs it and wonders off, seeing purplepixies comment about her not starving has put my mind at ease a little

Tortoises ARE notoriously difficult at this time of year. I keep more than one species and the horsfields always want to wind down early and their behaviour is also different whilst hibernating too, leading me to hibernate them totally differently to the others last year, with better results. No amount of heat and light will tempt them into thinking it is a good day out there ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
They are all slowing down now. Has your tortoise hibernated before? If you are not going to because you have not had it long, then you need to have higher temps over the table to try and keep it awake, especially as most of us at the moment, would only be having the CH on in the evening if cold.
as far as i'm aware she hasn't been hibernated before, the breeder i got her off said she would be fine not to hibernate but she will slow down as you have both said

when u say higher temps, do i need to buy another light then?

thank you

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
as far as i'm aware she hasn't been hibernated before, the breeder i got her off said she would be fine not to hibernate but she will slow down as you have both said

thank you
You might need to adjust the background tempratures before you look at the table tempratures. If the room is too cold any heat from the table will be lost.

That will probably mean leaving the central heating on in the room 24-7 while the weather is cold or if you don't have central heating an appropriate oil radiator to heat the room sufficiently.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts

thank you

You can buy another lamp, but I doubt it will work. All ten of my horsfields have remained indoors today, whereas the others have been out basking, bonking and eating. All have the same temps and lighting arrangements. It's just a horsfield thing - I would hibernate early then get it back up again late winter and get it going under lamps, this usually works ;)

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
If the room is cold, you could use a ceramic lamp, or infra red lamp to come on at night but it is not really cold enough just yet. You could also try an extra bulb the other end of the table to help keep temps up. If this doesn't work, think about hibernation at the end of November.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts