Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we have a 7 year old Horsefield (Eric). He found a piece of baked potato crisp on the floor & ate it. Out of curiosity I placed another on the floor which he wolfed down. Will these harm him as he appears to really enjoy eating them. I would have thought a baked slice of potato would not be bad however not sure about the salt and flavourings.

·
Super Moderator
9,657 Posts
The amount of salt in a piece of crisp compared to the size of the tortoise could be very bad for him so I would not give anymore to him.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
No, never feed human processed food to tortoises. Put it this way......dogs love chocolate but it kills them, horses eat grass, but lawn clippings kill them, some people live on junk food but eventually it kills them! I’m wondering too if you are dropping crisps on the floor indoors or outdoors as horsfield tortoises are a burrowing species and don’t thrive indoors. Inappropriate diet such as commercial and none wild diets will eventually harm any tortoise as the photos that many people post show sadly.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Hi we have a 7 year old Horsefield (Eric). He found a piece of baked potato crisp on the floor & ate it. Out of curiosity I placed another on the floor which he wolfed down. Will these harm him as he appears to really enjoy eating them. I would have thought a baked slice of potato would not be bad however not sure about the salt and flavourings.

A tortoises diet is weeds weeds and flowers, anything else can cause a lot of damage in the long run. Just because they eat it, does not mean its good for them. Just like us:0)
And really this is a good reason not to let tortoises wander around the floor, as they can pick up things we cannot see that are also not good for them. :0)

·
Registered
52 Posts
We had a box turtle many years ago that we allowed to run loose in the room in the evening. One day we caught her eating blu-tak she had found on the floor; obviously we took it away from her immediately. Over the following days an alarming amount of the stuff came out of her - luckily she appeared unharmed and did not otherwise get sick.

Some animals can and will eat all sorts of things in a captive environment that either aren't food, aren't good food, or aren't their natural food. Many species are in part scavengers and in the wild will probably naturally try to eat things we might know are inedible or might regard as inadvisable (like droppings, carcases, etc); especially ground feeders. In their own environment this behaviour might even be a necessary way to maximise their nutrients in some way; for some animals I'm sure there's a tendency to try all sorts of things just in case (eg sparrows eating window putty). But in captivity - or just around human habitations - it can be dangerous for them.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Surely normal captivity of a reptile does not mean having it walking around a house. There are laws regarding the keeping of animals as pets, which in the case of exotic creatures involves giving them correct environment with specific diets, lighting etc It never fails to amaze me, how some people think indoor keeping for an outdoor creature is OK. Just soooo sad for the poor animal ☹

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ah yes, people in my village, full of good intentions, say the hedgehogs are getting poorly because they eat slugs which carry parasites, and advocate putting catfood out for them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts