Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My wife is away to buy a horsfield tortoise but there is a few things I would like to ask before I build the enclosure for the wee fella.

1. Would a 4x2 foot setup be big enough?

2. How deep should I make the pen, I was thinking about 12 inches with seperators about 4 inches high to keep the different sort of substrate seperate which still allows 8 inches of height around the side, is this ok?

3. How big should I make the hide box thingy?

4. Would the tortoise need more than one hide?

5. How fast do they grow and how big should I make the entrance to the hide?

6. What would be the best sort of substrates to use?

7. Is there any websites you would reccommend?

8. Is there any really important snippets of advice that we could do with that you have learned while keeping tortoises?

Sorry for so many questions but I would like to get off to the best possible start with keeping tortoises.

Thanks for any advice

Dom

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Hi all,

My wife is away to buy a horsfield tortoise but there is a few things I would like to ask before I build the enclosure for the wee fella.

2. How deep should I make the pen, I was thinking about 12 inches with seperators about 4 inches high to keep the different sort of substrate seperate which still allows 8 inches of height around the side, is this ok?

8. Is there any really important snippets of advice that we could do with that you have learned while keeping tortoises?

Sorry for so many questions but I would like to get off to the best possible start with keeping tortoises.

Thanks for any advice

Dom
1 Would the setup you're asking about in the first part be a vivarium or a tortoise table? I think people suggest a 4x4 floor space for a horsfield tort table (people will correct me if im wrong)

2 horsfields love to dig so maybe make it a little deeper

3. Big enough for an adult horsfield to move about it.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts

depends how big he is

depends how big he is

big enough so he can easily move around inside

not need but it might be a good idea
They grow and different rates depending on diet, amount of food and sex

a) play sand and soil mixed into one at a 40:60 ratio
b) hemp
c) smooth rounded stones (biger than his mouth so they can't be swallowed

A Habitat for Horsfields will tell you alot of info

I haven't kept any ;)

Thanks for any advice

PS: other members will be able to give you better advise ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
depends how big he is

He will just be a young one only 3-4 inches at the moment

depends how big he is

See above

big enough so he can easily move around inside

See above

not need but it might be a good idea
They grow and different rates depending on diet, amount of food and sex

I was just wanting to know how quick he would grow out of a tort table, I don't want to make too make it too big or too small.

Thanks Again for the help

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I was just wanting to know how quick he would grow out of a tort table, I don't want to make too make it too big or too small.

Other members will be on soon, they'll tell you.

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
Hi all,

Hi Dom
Hope you read the replies before going off to get one. Horsfields do not use hides but dig tunnels, they are a burrowing species :(
The size would be big enough but the depth I would say would not, not being deep enough to accomodate sufficient substrate. They 'should' grow very slowly although sadly some do not to their detriment. When not hibernating horsfield tortoises should live outdoors where they really come into their own and thrive.
Hopefully you are buying from a british breeder and not some pet shop who will have bought imported tortoises.
Hope this helps
Sue

Thanks for any advice

Dom

Added to top of post - sorry

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
OMG - don't do that - these are imports, most likely wild caught. Please do not add to the wild caught trade :(
She has a point here. If you bought from someone who sells WC torts. Then you're likely to be in for alot of trouble with your tort. Needing to worm the poor bugger and any other problems it may have.

But would also be helping profit the wild caught trade for torts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,

Can I ask how you know that the torts from A1 are imports?

If we shouldn't buy from them is there anywhere up here that is good to buy from?

Also they sold us a under substrate heater thing but we have since read that you should not use these, what would you reccommend?

Thanks

Dom

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Hi,

If we shouldn't buy from them is there anywhere up here that is good to buy from?

Also they sold us a under substrate heater thing but we have since read that you should not use these, what would you reccommend?

Thanks

Dom
A heat bulb which is on via a thermostat (well heat bulb or ceramic bulb) i currently have a light bulb, and the flickering on and off gets annoying lol.

Also do you have a UV bulb set up?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We haven't got one just yet but we are still in the process of seting everything up which is why I was asking about the size of the tort table what would you reccommend?

Thanks

Dom

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
We haven't got one just yet but we are still in the process of seting everything up which is why I was asking about the size of the tort table what would you reccommend?

Thanks

Dom
I'll probably get moaned at right now.. But my horsfield is a year old and is in a temporary table thats um...
39 inches long, 2 ft wide, and 17 inches high. Could be higher. But it's temporary. After new year i'll be making him/her a table that i hope will last a good while lol

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts

Thanks

Dom
Care to list what you do currently have? and what you plan on getting?
For the tort table etc?

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
Hi,

Thanks

Dom

Ask them for the name of the suppliers and you will find they are dealers/impoprters. There are very few captive bred horsfields as conditions have to be just right to breed them i.e. outdoors.
A heat mat will slowly dehydrate a russian and eventually kill it. Now would a breeder give you such advice. Trust me they are importers :( When you have been around long enough you get to know who gives duff advice and has lots of disatisfied customers :(

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
A heat bulb which is on via a thermostat (well heat bulb or ceramic bulb) i currently have a light bulb, and the flickering on and off gets annoying lol.

Also do you have a UV bulb set up?
Horsfileds need to be able to find very cool spots - a thermostat is not conducive with good long term health in horsfields. Use a heat lamp with the correct wattage of bulb to create a hot spot of thirty degrees then give the tortoise the choice. Very easy and no need for expensive extras :2thumb:

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Ask them for the name of the suppliers and you will find they are dealers/impoprters. There are very few captive bred horsfields as conditions have to be just right to breed them i.e. outdoors.
A heat mat will slowly dehydrate a russian and eventually kill it. Now would a breeder give you such advice. Trust me they are importers :( When you have been around long enough you get to know who gives duff advice and has lots of disatisfied customers :(

I was told the other day by a shop owner that i should use calcium sand for my lizards and my tort because even if they ate it it doesnt matter because it's calcium and they wont become impacted.

But yeah, ask them for the name of their suppliers etc.

wizzasmum would someone buying from breeders and or dealers/importers have proof of origin and if they're CB or WC paper work?

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Horsfileds need to be able to find very cool spots - a thermostat is not conducive with good long term health in horsfields. Use a heat lamp with the correct wattage of bulb to create a hot spot of thirty degrees then give the tortoise the choice. Very easy and no need for expensive extras :2thumb:

I've got my heat lamp connected via a thermostat to make sure that the temperature is keeping decent. there is plenty of cool spots in mine though :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts