Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I've ever heard about them was that you shouldn't use them.
I've been given one for free and I'm thinking that maybe I should just throw it out...Unless anyone can think of a good use for it for one of the animals in my signature? (the drop down box on the left)

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
just use it as a rock and don't plug it in.

·
Premium Member
12,018 Posts
Have anyone who has posted or anyone reading this ever met anyone who has ACTUALLY experienced a malfunctioning hotrock, or experienced first hand a lethal, fire yielding herp killer shaped like a rock that these things are made out to be?

The more I read the forums and listen to people on them, the more I think the 'hot rocks = death' mantra is nothing more than an out of date, herp legend that has become, over time, a 'forum fact'.

I know of a very well respected herpetologist that has spent a number of years running hot rocks with various species and actually found the shape to be more beneficial for some species than the flat heat mat would be as they can drape over it and curl up around it as they would in the wild. Thus making them MORE suitable for some species than heatmats. Add to this the fact that they have an internal thermostat (no extra expense) and it actually looks pretty good no?

I am aware of stories from thirty years ago when the first 'hot rocks' came in from the States of explosions and fires, but surely thats to be expected when using electrical items designed for 110V on 240V mains supplies?

Knowing the huge amount of testing that would be required for these items to be on sale in this day and age and knowing that they are for sale and readily available, I hardly think that ZooMed or Exo-Terra or whoever make them are still chucking out rediculously dangerous fire bombs. Surely research and development must have worked out any gliches by now?

OP, my advice is plug it in and monitor temps of the hotrock, outside of a viv and where it can do no harm. This will ensure the built in thermostat is doing its job. After a week of stable temps, I think your uro would love a nice warm rock to bask on!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts