Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered what species of snake you guys would recommend for hot training?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
This may be a no brainer......HOT TRAINING?????????????????

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
This may be a no brainer......HOT TRAINING?????????????????
I'm in the same boat as you, What on Earth is hot training?

·
Premium Member
16,486 Posts
Hot training is learing how to handle Hots (venemous) snakes or lizards

Some of the whip snakes are good - what about boiga?

·
Registered
516 Posts
its working with venomous/dangerous snakes i think

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Hot training is learing how to handle Hots (venemous) snakes or lizards

Some of the whip snakes are good - what about boiga?
CHEERS:2thumb:

·
Registered
15,628 Posts
depends what sort of hots you plan to keep. for example buying a wilc caught tai beauty will not prepare you that well for a gabby, whereas it would be more useful for cobra training.

i think the best way to train is to speak to a local hot keeper, ask if you can watch how he does it, and get some experience up before taking the plunge.

Alex

·
Registered
933 Posts
Basically no snake will substitute for a front fanged venomous.

BUT.... General experience with a variety of different species will help. What type of venomous were you thinking of ? Try to get experience with non venomous that are the same sort of habits and that as the venomous you'd like.
i.e. if you want arboreals maybe mangroves, elapids maybe whipsnakes or radiated rats, gaboons maybe blood pythons.
These won't substitute for the real thing but it may give you an idea of how to handle and to get the right tools to start with. i.e you wont be using hook and tail on a gabby, and a single large hook is no good on mambas, you might well get away with it but you need the skills to deal with safely.

The only real way is to get to know a keeper and start to learn from them, even just by watching you get to learn what certain species are like.

Mike

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not looking as yet as i have a young child but am very interested in one day getting my DWA, and fought in the mean time it wouldn't hurt to get some hands on with a more fiesty snake or to, thanks to you all:2thumb:

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've got a false water cobra. Cos at least they give you plenty of notice when they don't want messing with. cos they hood. But they are really quick and fairly toxic. oh and rear fanged

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
was thinking along the Boiga line maybe a Mangrove, i think they're stunning. Whatever i end up getting has to live in the front room with my others as only got a medium sized 2 bed house. so shouldn't be a speices thats easily spooked by some movement

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
mangroves are trippy, they dont take stress very well tbh, dont like to be fussed with and can be bad feeders, if they are WC, CB ones wouldnt be so bad, but then possibly not so aggressive either

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
was thinking one of the Cobra family to start with so i can at least judge it's mood to a degree, but it's a long way off yet would need to move house so i can have a dedicated room

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
was thinking one of the Cobra family to start with so i can at least judge it's mood to a degree, but it's a long way off yet would need to move house so i can have a dedicated room
A Cobra isn't the recommended first step into keeping venomous to be honest, but if you are looking for a good training snake for them, then a Radiated Rat Snake or a Whip Snakes do pretty well.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts